Back Plates For Wide Bodies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a Hog stainless plate, and also a Hollis stainless plate. The Hog was cheaper than the Hollis. The main difference was the Hollis is polished to a mirror shine while the Hog looks like it is a bead blasted finish. Also the Hog has a much steeper bend in the plate compared to the Hollis.

Does the polishing make up for the price difference? IMHO, no. But the bend difference was. I am not some skinny guy, so the Hollis is more comfortable for me to wear.

In another thread I read Jason's comment on the angle of the bend on Back Plates and how it affects the comfort of a larger size person...such as me.

When I got out of the army, I went to work in an underground coal mine before heading off to college. In that six months my chest size seemed to have doubled. Currently I am 5' 8" weigh 235 lbs and while my waist (pants size is 40") my chest is 48". I have a Dive Rite TransPlate BP/W and with all of the padding and the deluxe harness I have not really noticed or paid any attention to the bend angle of my Al Back Plate. But I have desires to purchase a SS Back Plate with a basic web harness and I was considering the HOG SS plate set-up. Now I am beginning to wonder about the bend.

In Colorado there are not many Back Plates to "Test Drive" so I was wonder if anyone could offer their take on the bend angle of different makes of BPs? It seems to me with my wide girth, that I might want to minimize the angle.

Thanks SBers....

~Oldbear~

In another thread I read Jason's comment on the angle of the bend on Back Plates and how it affects the comfort of a larger size person...such as me.

When I got out of the army, I went to work in an underground coal mine before heading off to college. In that six months my chest size seemed to have doubled. Currently I am 5' 8" weigh 235 lbs and while my waist (pants size is 40") my chest is 48". I have a Dive Rite TransPlate BP/W and with all of the padding and the deluxe harness I have not really noticed or paid any attention to the bend angle of my Al Back Plate. But I have desires to purchase a SS Back Plate with a basic web harness and I was considering the HOG SS plate set-up. Now I am beginning to wonder about the bend.

In Colorado there are not many Back Plates to "Test Drive" so I was wonder if anyone could offer their take on the bend angle of different makes of BPs? It seems to me with my wide girth, that I might want to minimize the angle.

Thanks SBers....

~Oldbear~

I will take a look at my plate at home because, since I bought it used, I am not certain of whose it is (wing is a DiveRite but plate I do not know). But, I am 6'1" with a 55" chest and have never felt uncomfortable wearing it (dry or wet). Really until your post, I had never considered the angle. So until I can get the mfr, I can only say that I would expect the "flatter" the plate, the more likely it is to be comfortable on a bigger body....just my opinion

Following this thread because.....McDonald's French fries! The last time I measured my chest I was at about 39".

Anyone else have any input on the plate's bent angle?

Look at DSS plates. They sell them in different sizes.

I have a large plate and it sits basically flat against my back. I'm wide.

I looked at the DSS website and will call them at some point in the future. What I am beginning to think is that the bent angle has to do with singles or doubles or if a STA is required. Still tryihg to figure out what part the back plate's bent angle has to do with tank attachment and/or comfort. DSS BP seem to be designed more for a single tank configuration and has less bent angle; so does a BP designed for doubles have more of a bent angle like the HOG?

I think it is a personal preference more than anything else. I have had DiveRite SS plate (on the flat side), Halcyon (medium steep), HOG (more steep). In terms of comfort against my back, I can feel no differences. I prefer steeper band because single tank will be further away from my back, also my head, so my head dont bump into the first stage.

In terms of manufacturing cost, the bend angle shouldn't increase the cost at all. The extra step to polish the plate will.

DSS is definitely not designed more for singles. They just make it convenient that you don't need an STA for singles.

According to their website I was left with the impression that they have the single tank diver in mind. I think some SB posts also lead to that.

DSS back plate features angled harness slots and a much flatter profile than other plates. This results in greater comfort and a lower profile when used with a single tank.

Source: https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=2

In their FAQ it is all about Single Tanks...

I don't dispute that the DSS Plate can be used for doubles...back to my question how much does the bent angle play in the use of either a single or a double tank configuration.

If you are diving wet or dry I doubt you will be able to tell any difference between the plates in the water. One plate I want to try is called the freedom plate but alias I need to wait for more to be made. If you are diving strictly singles then you can use a flat plate, if you want stainless steel then place a thread in want to buy that you are looking for a JET Plate. The plate was flat. Apart from that you are stuck. VDH has a flat plate but it is made out of aluminium.

Back
Top Bottom