Diving San Diego for the 1st Time - Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadan.com

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys/gals... I'm planning a dive at Shipwreck Alley in San Diego. It will be my 1st time diving there. Should I bring the dry suit that I dive in when in Monterey, or Carmel, or should I head down with maybe a 5MIL wet suit?? Thoughts???

Dry, definitely. Unless you like hovering at 30' to rewarm while watching the rest of the divers explore the Yukon.

Really, if you dive dry in Monterery you'll dive dry in SoCal.

PS. Maybe contact a mod and get this thread moved to SoCal forum?

PPS. Have a great time. I first dived Yukon shortly after she was placed, about ten years ago. That's the gem.

Not sure what the temps are this time of year. If you don't get a response here, you might want to post that in the SoCal forum.

Drysuit, for sure.

You'll be warmer than at home, but not so warm that you'll regret diving dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not sure what the temps are this time of year.

50 to 55 degrees at depth. Sorry to say that the world currents run clockwise, and we're on the wrong side of the ocean :D.

I did a shore dive at La Jolla shores a couple weeks (my first San Diego dive). Had a 7 mil with hood and gloves etc all 5 mils. Was comfortable at 30 ft but could feel the chill at 60. Since we swam/dove out and back time at 60 was limited. I would not do a dive to 60 or greater in a 5 mil.

I don't know about the Yukon but we called the dive the next day. Fellow who did brave the high surf said the water temp had dropped close to 10 degrees. So apparently if there are upwellings the temp can vary a bit.

Dove the Yukon and Ruby last weekend. 61 degrees on the surface and 50 degrees at depth, between 90 and 100 feet. No dry suit. Dove with a standard 7 mil full suit, hooded vest and a Lavacore "catsuit". Was on the Lois Ann dive boat. Great boat and crew !

I'm only a periodic visitor to San Diego and have only 36 dives on the Yukon, Ruby E, NOSC tower, kelp forests, Hogan, and the Coronados. I dive only wet in a full 7mm, hooded vest, good booties and gloves. The water temp has been between the high 40s to mid 50s. I've had a great time diving in San Diego but if I lived there, believe me, I would invest in a good drysuit. No doubt about it, it is cold.

Back
Top Bottom