HD100 integrated weight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldschool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've recently purchased the HD100 bc and really enjoy it. However, locking in the integrated weight pouches is often somewhat difficult. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, is their any tips you can offer?

I have a student that had this issue with that BC. Even worse underwater practicing removal and replacement. Problem is he solved it by getting rid of the BC and going to a Zeagle Express Tech with a zip touch. So not much help there.

Oh well, that fix is out of the question for now. And to think when I bought the Hollis, it was a toss up between it and a Zeagle. Also, I just found out that the HD100 has been discontinued.

I have a student that had this issue with that BC. Even worse underwater practicing removal and replacement. Problem is he solved it by getting rid of the BC and going to a Zeagle Express Tech with a zip touch. So not much help there.

yeah i noticed it's finicky with the pouches, I have noticed that how the weight is distributed in the pouches has an affect on how easy it is to slide em in. how much weight are you using? I'll look at mine tonight to figure how how i do it but i think it's more keeping the Velcro away... but it is easier to do if the pockets are more vertical. I usually run with 20# if i'm shore diving with AL's. 2 5#'s in the trim and a 2# & 3# in the pouches each. I don't know why they discontinued it either...might have just been not enough demand. it's a decent rig except for the finicky pockets... whatever i eventually get later would probably be b/w. There are several guys around here diving it besides myself.

this is just from memory btw... but there is a critical point with the Velcro where if it' latches down too early, the buckles won't click down. if i'm not in the water i like to slide something in between the Velcro so i can get the buckle to click 1st then press the Velcro down. I will look tonight for sure though.

I use 14 lbs. 4 lbs each in the rear pouches and 3 lbs each in the front. I've checked to see if the velcro flaps may be interfering with the latches but it does not seem to be. It's like something soft is preventing from the latches to lock, but for the life of me, I don't know what.

yeah i noticed it's finicky with the pouches, I have noticed that how the weight is distributed in the pouches has an affect on how easy it is to slide em in. how much weight are you using? I'll look at mine tonight to figure how how i do it but i think it's more keeping the Velcro away... but it is easier to do if the pockets are more vertical. I usually run with 20# if i'm shore diving with AL's. 2 5#'s in the trim and a 2# & 3# in the pouches each. I don't know why they discontinued it either...might have just been not enough demand. it's a decent rig except for the finicky pockets... whatever i eventually get later would probably be b/w. There are several guys around here diving it besides myself.

this is just from memory btw... but there is a critical point with the Velcro where if it' latches down too early, the buckles won't click down. if i'm not in the water i like to slide something in between the Velcro so i can get the buckle to click 1st then press the Velcro down. I will look tonight for sure though.

i was playing around with it tonight and i the trick i think i found is to slide it in up to the flap & roll the velcro down most of the way & slide the buckle in at like a 30-45 deg angle & give it a good tap. it set it right in each time i did it. i think though that it responds best to hard weights rather than soft. i tried getting the 5 lb soft in the trim pocket and no dice - too tight. so went with 3# in the trim pockets each and a 5 & 2 in the front. i'm a big guy over 230# & 6'5" so unless i'm using steel tanks i'm stuck at 20# :( working on losing some weight around the middle.

a permanent solution of course would involve either removing or disabling the velcro - -but any solution i can come up with might damage the pouch :(
so will just have to wait until the velcro fails on its own

was looking at the cummerbund on the hd100 - it had max tank sizes on it for both single and doubles. since it's been awhile since i looked at the cummerbund on other bc's, i thought either it was strange cause i though this bc only was setup for singles or it's a generic removable/adjustable cummerbund that Hollis uses

Back
Top Bottom