18# vs 30# mach v wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jallen013

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Preface: Ive been diving a Zeagle Brigade for several years but have lost quite a bit of weight and it no longer fits. The last time I dove the Brigade was in early March and I used 16# of lead; I'm still loosing weight so on my next trip in June I should be down a bit more lead. I'm mostly a vacation diver - Caribbean waters in a 3 mil full wetsuit.

I'm bout to drop the coin on my first BP/W rig. I know that I want an aluminum backplate for minimum pack weight. I know that I will go with a basic one piece harness. I know I will add weight pockets to the rig because I hate weight belts.

I thought that I wanted the 30# Mach V wing (solely because that's close to the 35# bladder on my Brigade), but my LDS guys were quick to suggest going with the 18# version instead. I'd really appreciate some further advise about the 18# vs the 30# Mach V wing in relation to my diving.

Thanks in advance.

I use an 18lb wing with Koplin travel plate for warm water diving and have more than enough lift. The 18lb wing wouldn't cut it for cold water diving so I use a 27lb wing for that.

I'd suggest the 18lb wing for your use, although the 35lb would just be a little bulkier and more versatile if you get into cold water diving.

Have you played with the Ultimate Wing Lift Calculator at the top of this forum? I find it to be pretty accurate.

I dropped 2 lbs of lead switching from my Brigade to Al BP and STA.

With 16 lb of lead, minus 2 lbs for Al bp and steel STA, you're at 14 lbs of lead. If you put all in pockets on the harness and add 2 lbs for reg you're at 18 so the 18 lb wing won't float the rig. Even if you drop a few more lbs (you say you lost weight) it seems a little close. Also the 18 lb travel wings requires a STA, while I have preferred no STA.

I have been using a Hollis 25 lb, kind of splits the difference and has slots for cam bands, but it is not enough lift for my cold water diving. HOG makes a 23 lb single wing which might be the perfect size and a few dollars cheaper. But if you're committed to oxycheq it seems the mach 30 is more flexible and is still very streamlined (my gf uses one and it will float her rig with steel tank and weighted for dry suit - but she's pretty skinny).

-seth

If you have to pick then the 30 keeps your options of local diving wide open which IMO is the only logical choice.

The bulk, drag etc. between them should not be significant.

The Oxycheq wings are not the best for travel because they are very stiff, and do not pack down well. If you are only a travel diver I would recommend either a Zeagle Express Tech or a DSS package. However, if you want Oxycheq I would recommend you go with the 30 lb. The 30 lb wing is not significantly larger than the 18 lb so I doubt you will feel much difference between the two in the water.

Also as Seth pointed out the 18 lb wing will not float the rig with a full tank, so you would need to split the weight between the harness and a belt. However, Seth is incorrect that the 18 lb wing requires an STA. It does not.

If you are only tropical diving in a 3mm the 18lb would be ideal, but as others have said you will not be able to use it locally if diving a thick suit, steel tanks, lots of lead etc. The 30lb would be my recommendation of the two. I own both, more money than sense, I love the 18lb wing it's tiny. I use it exclusively for warm water travel diving, its intended purpose, and although I agree due to its stiffness it will not roll up easily I just lie it flat in my case between clothing or a towel and in around 4 years of ownership have never had a problem. Width wise they are very similar, length wise the 30lb is longer. As ams511 has mentioned you do not need a STA with the later Mach Vs, for travel purposes if you really want to use a STA you can use the Oxycheq mini STAs or if wealthy the AGIR aluminium STA. Good luck with your decision.

based on the replies here as well as my own research over the last 24 hours it seems that the 18 may work but 30 will certainly work now and be more future-proof. that plus the minimal size difference (2" in width, 1" in height at full inflation - source) means i'm going with the 30.

when we - the mrs & i - travel to dive, we pack the majority of our gear in a single large duffel that we check; rolling a wing is unnecessary. a DSS package is my second choice, but i try to support my LDS as much as possible and fiscally prudent.

thanks again.

based on the replies here as well as my own research over the last 24 hours it seems that the 18 may work but 30 will certainly work now and be more future-proof. that plus the minimal size difference (2" in width, 1" in height at full inflation - source) means i'm going with the 30.

when we - the mrs & i - travel to dive, we pack the majority of our gear in a single large duffel that we check; rolling a wing is unnecessary. a DSS package is my second choice, but i try to support my LDS as much as possible and fiscally prudent.

thanks again.

The "stealth" black lettering version looks pretty cool, same price but often special order.

The "stealth" black lettering version looks pretty cool, same price but often special order.

I have this with the 18 lb, it is cool. There was a blue and gold one I saw on ebay a few months back, that was pretty cool too.

I have this with the 18 lb, it is cool. There was a blue and gold one I saw on ebay a few months back, that was pretty cool too.

Yeah when I bought my 18lb I wanted the "stealth" version but it was gonna take a few weeks and I needed one ASAP, I coloured the lettering in with a black sharpie, voila "stealth" lol...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom