DG03 Discontinued?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milbournosphere

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My buddy was looking to purchase one as I've really enjoyed mine. I was surprised to see that it's been discontinued. Any reasons why? It's been a great computer to me thus far. Are you planning to replace it with a newer piece of hardware, or should my buddy try to find a closeout deal on one somewhere?

Well, it was just recalled, so retailers might not be selling it. However, I have also heard they're releasing a new model the summer, the DG04.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

if discontinued and on recall for the transmitter, would it be a bad idea to buy it. It seems like a great price for the features ignoring the AI part. For a first computer, should this worry me? I'm looking into this one and some other computers in the $250-300 range.

FWIW, I've had no issues with mine. I do NOT use it with an air integrated transmitter as I believe they're just expensive failure points, but that's a discussion for elsewhere. Here's what I was sent:

The DG03 dive computer problem that has been described to Dive Gear Express is that under some circumstances when the DG03 is used with a high-pressure transmitter, the DG03 does not update the displayed cylinder gas pressure in a timely manner. This could cause the diver to believe they have more breathing gas in the cylinder than is actually present. Note this issue applies only to the Hollis DG03 dive computer (Hollis Part Number 204.2360) when used with a wireless transmitter, and we are told it does NOT apply to any other model dive computer or to the wireless transmitter.

Hollis is in the process of implementing a Voluntary Recall on the DG03 dive computer in cooperation with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission and we are told by Hollis that in approximately one week the Hollis Gear website will contain detailed information explaining action to be taken and procedures for upgrading the firmware in DG03 dive computer.

In the meantime, Hollis has not provided us with any guidance regarding your continued use of the DG03. We recommend you do NOT rely upon the DG03 to monitor scuba tank pressure, or to estimate remaining volume or duration of breathing gas supply. Relying upon such information from the DG03 before this issue has been addressed could result in your serious injury or death.

Note the comment that the issue with with the firmware of the computer, not any issue with the transmitter, and that no other functionality is impeded. Once they push out a firmware update, there should be no problems. Personally, if I had to buy a new one, I'd probably wait for the DG04 unless shops start getting in new DG03 stock (it's out of stock nearly everywhere my buddy has looked.)

What does the DG04 have that the DG03 doesn't and what is the new price? $249 was pretty darn good....

As far as I know, it's not official yet. I have found no press release or any official blog entry, only announcements from a few groups referencing a summer release. I am going to the SCUBA expo up in Anaheim in June and there will be a Hollis booth there. We were going to see if they could provide any info or were making any announcements.

EDIT: I also found this information, about a near production model 'DG-04HE' from Hollis. Not sure whether it's official or not:

[Oceanic also now known as American Underwater Products (AUP)]
This is the really exciting section where AUP tease us with some near production and some pure concept ideas:
Hollis DG-04HE – An advanced Trimix dive computer with specification to include:

• Up to 12 Gas Memory
  • Add NEW Gas Mix on-the-fly
  • 3- Axis Digital Compas
  • Menu Based User Interface
  • Wireless capable with up to 4 transmitters
  • Built in Simulator
  • Dual Algorithm for Air / Nitrox Dives
  • Gradiant Factor Bar Graph
  • Dynamic Dive Planning Software simplifies the planning of dive profiles, gases and back up plans
  • Ultimate planning tool for Android phone, Iphone, Windows and Apple OS
  • Plan your dive on your desktop computer then download it to your dive computer
  • Sometime, in the very near future: Plan your dive from your phone; use Bluetooth to transfer it to your dive computer.

If those are indeed the production specs, the DG04 could be a pretty solid upgrade. However, there's a lot of features there...I don't know if they'd be able to match the $249 cost that sold me on the DG03.

from the specs listed with all the trimix stuff, it sounds more like an upgrade to the dg05 then the 03. If it has all that, it's a bit overkill for me. I still need my nitrox certification lol.

I looked into it at the SCUBA show up in LA this weekend. Nothing from them. The concept image above looks a lot like the Oceanic VT4.0 computer, though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom