Maui / July 2013 - need help finding dive to meet family needs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
New to the site & forum but am here with the hope that someone can assist with a question about my family's upcoming trip to Maui in July to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary with our kids joining us to witness our vow renewal and so we can show them our favorite place on earth.

A little background first to help clarify my question: my wife first experienced the underwater world on our 10th Wedding Anniversary trip back in 1998 when we took some type of boat excursion trip out to Molikini where we decided to try "Snuba" since we had never done anything like that before. It was such a cool experience that we were hooked but living in the Memphis, Tennessee area we just don't get a lot of opportunities to enjoy the sport as much as we would like. While in Punta Cana 2003, my wife & I both got PADI Scuba Diver cards {dive up to 40ft with PADI Pro}. My daughter (20) will receive her SSI Open Water Certification next weekend when she completes her 4 dives as part of a college course. Unfortunately, neither of my boys (22 & 17) have never been diving so they are complete newbie's.

So since the majority of us are not fully certified, think the best option for all of us to share the experience together in Hawaii is to just do an introductory dive. However, I have not been able to find one that seems to meet the needs of our varying levels of experience while also giving my 2 boys the chance to experience the wonder & beauty of the underwater world of Molikini.

Is there anybody out there aware of any dive shops or tour operators that offer an introductory dive package that would include:
  • Dive on Molikini for those of us who are determined to be certified to dive the crater
  • Offers Snuba as an option on Molikini for those who are not certified to dive the crater
  • Shoreline/Other(?) Introductory Dive for the whole family so we can all dive together
  • And has an opening available for morning July 16th as that is our only open date for this dive

I apologize for the long post but wanted to give as much detail as possible so that the moderators, forum members, and the people here who know the local area & dive operators can make recommendations & referrals if they have any.

Thank you in advance to any & all who can give direction & suggestions on helping us locate a dive option that will make this a special event for the whole family!!

Bob Benson
Southaven, Mississippi

Everything you want can be done from one two big snorkel catamarans. One is the Pride of Maui - it leaves from Ma'alea Harbor. They do everything - snorkeling/snuba/discover dives/certified dives on the same trip. Maui Activities | Activities in Maui | Pride of Maui

There's also another big cat that does similar trips - I can't recall the name.
any dive shops or tour operators that offer an introductory dive package that would include:

Dive on Molikini for those of us who are determined to be certified to dive the crater
Offers Snuba as an option on Molikini for those who are not certified to dive the crater
I doubt you'll find any regular dive boat operator willing to do certification dives at Molokini. Most are going to do those near Maui as second dives - or from shore. And none have Snuba - the gear takes up too much room on their smaller boats since they launch from the Kihei ramp. Most really only offer snorkeling at/near dive sites anyway.

Or do a private charter. Maui Diamond II offers one. $1500 for 1/2 day. They won't have Snuba either though - but everybody could do a Discover Dive. Private Charters - Maui Diamond Sea Sports

Or go private with Lahaina Divers. They'll go over to Molokini in the afternoon since they have the big 46' Newton's that can take the rough ride back. It's also $1500 Large Group Charters | Lahaina Divers

If you want to give up on Molokini, Hula Girl might be an option also - they only sail along West Maui. Hula Girl Snorkel and Scuba Cruise - Maui Snorkeling Trips, Maui Scuba Diving, Maui Ocean Activities

Shoreline/Other(?) Introductory Dive for the whole family so we can all dive together
In Lahaina Tiny Bubbles Scuba does Intro Dives 2x per day off the beach. Maximum of 4 participants plus they'd let your daughter dive with you for $89 more. Introductory Scuba Dive
Extended Horizons does something similar also:
Maui Lanai SCUBA Diving Certifications - Introductory Dive Class for Beginners - Lahaina, Hawaii

If you're staying near Kihei, check with Maui Dreams Dive Co or Shaka Doug/Shaka Divers also.
Introductory Dive Course - Maui Dreams Dive Co
SCUBA Lessons

Your non divers and divers alike can do a non-cert intro dive at the Sheraton on Kaanapali beach. The dive is around Black Rock which is 30' or so deep, and a nice easy dive with lots of fish and usually a turtle or three. I think you can do the same thing at Airport Beach which has better coral, but not the 'wall' feeling that diving around the end of Black Rock gives you. Neither one are as good as Molokini, but it might be cheaper and less of an 'entire day' eater. I think you have to do a pool class for the ones that have never been diving, but I recall the whole thing was less than a two or three hour affair. Did it with my daughter and son on two trips when they were 10 and 13 at the youngest.

Have Fun!! Our young noob clan at Black Rock with a very bad disposable camera pic and a faint giant turtle!

9132_1237263565701_3837955_n.jpg

Thanks for the replies & info!! I have inquiries into each of the recommended operators...you're help is greatly appreciated as we try to narrow down a trip that works for our family.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: snuba is an accident waiting to happen. The "instructors" are undertrained (minimum requirement is Rescue Diver and a one-day course for snuba) and you still have the most significant risk that scuba poses, namely, AGE from a breath-hold ascent.

If you call around, you should be able to find someone to meet your needs. It may cost a bit more (i.e. you may need to pay for both the boat ride *and* your own instructor, as well as perhaps the instructors seat on the boat), but you should be able to get someone to take care of you. Try Makena Coast Charters as well. Dive & Sea Maui should also be able to accommodate your requests.

Not Molikini. Any decent dive there will require full certification, not "scuba diver," and it not appropriate for a "Discover Scuba" "resort" dive. I recommend you contact Lahaina Divers and ask about their run to Mala pier. It is a shallow, lots to see, not a long boat ride, and they will take "discover scuba" newbies, you limited "scuba divers," and you certified diver will find it a comfortable dive for the newly certified. Google them and call- they will let you know what they can do.
DivemasterDennis

Not Molikini. Any decent dive there will require full certification, not "scuba diver," and it not appropriate for a "Discover Scuba" "resort" dive. I recommend you contact Lahaina Divers and ask about their run to Mala pier. It is a shallow, lots to see, not a long boat ride, and they will take "discover scuba" newbies, you limited "scuba divers," and you certified diver will find it a comfortable dive for the newly certified. Google them and call- they will let you know what they can do.
DivemasterDennis

I've led 40' max dives at Molokini. There is plenty to see, so I'd argue that, while the advice to check out other sites is not bad advice, there's nothing wrong with doing a 40' dive at Molokini... you just won't get to see some of the cool stuff like the Reef's End drop off, or the Garden Eels...

DLNR banned Introductory Diving at Molokini a couple of years ago. The snorkel boats go to a shallow site, referred to as Turtle Town for the introductory dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom