Going diving in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougieG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

My 19 year old daughter and I are going to Maui for a short time. We are planning the following boat dives with Lahaina Divers:

Molikini Crater
Turtle Reef
Hammerhead dive
Lanai Cathedrals.

My daughter wants to do some repelling down a waterfall on one of the days so I need to cancel one of the dives. I was thinking of cancelling Molikini Crater as it seems to get so-so reviews. I was also thinking of doing Turtle Reef as a shore dive to save some money.

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this, and any recommendations for top-side activities. Thanks!

I'll make sure to post a trip report when we return.

DougieG

You'll see tons of turtles everywhere, so Turtle Reef... Eh.

The crossing for the hammerheads can be rough.

Unless the Molokini trip includes the back wall, that'd be the one I would ax from your list.

I have dove molokini three times. I’ve enjoyed it, but it isn’t earth shattering.

Cathedrals was very interesting for the topography.

I’m taking my family to Maui in July and my daughter is my dive buddy. As you have no doubt seen boat diving out of Lahaina (and all of Maui for that matter) is pretty expensive.

OTOH tanks and weights can be had for $10-$20 a dive if you stick to shore diving and have your own gear. Lots of great places can be reached from the shore. Mala warf, turtle reef, airport beach, honolua bay are all easily done from the shore. Our plan for this trip is to skip the boat diving and to only shore dive.

Don’t cancel the cathedral, that’s a great dive. All the boat dives are going to be expensive, and you aren't missing that much in the crater at Molokini, so I'd cancel that one.

I would suggest looking into a different dive op for the Cathedrals dive, though. I did it with Dive Maui and with 14 or so divers on the boat, it detracts from the experience. We were divided into two groups. and I was in the second group - the first group didn't do us any favors on the visibility in the Cathedral. I think Lahaina Divers has a more crowded boat as well. Next time I'll be looking for a 6-pack to go out there.

Thanks everyone for the information! Does anyone know where the turtle reef dive is when accessed as a shore dive?

DougieG

I'm pretty sure it's Mala Pier. I have done it from shore and seen boats dropping off divers there. There are lots of things to see there. You will enjoy Mala Pier.

We did a snorkeling excursion to Molokini a few years ago that stopped at “Turtle town” on the way back. I think that was in Makena Bay, but I’m not sure. But as someone noted, the turtles are all over the place - I‘ve seen them while snorkeling off Kaanapali beach. If you just want to see turtles, I’d rent gear and do a shore dive at Mala Wharf. Plenty of them there. Maui Diving Scuba & Snorkel can rent you gear or you can sign up to do it as a shore dive with them.

I believe turtle town and turtle reef are the same place, but I could be mistaken.

Odds are fairly good on any reef you’ll see turtles.

I’ve seen my only manta at honolua bay

Mala always has turtles and nearly always has a reef shark or two.

My plan is to spend three mornings doing shore dives. Mala, honolua bay, and airport beach will likey be the spots we hit.

Molokini back wall is a cool dive/drift. Inside is ok but might be on ti skip if limited time. (Coolest part about inside to me was just the idea if diving in a crater.)

I can't remember the beach we visited while there, but there was literally several dozen turtles there. We just snorkeled with them from the shore. Parking was free. It was near Lahainia.

Back
Top Bottom