Molokini Backwall or Carthinigian Wreck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Planning a trip to Maui & Oahu in April. My wife's a native Hawaiian from Oahu, so always on the itinerary for 8-9 days - end of dicsussion! ;-) Plus, this is our 17th trip in 25 years so I know Oahu and Kona diving quite well.

It's been about 10 years since we've been back to Maui though, and I'm thinking this may be the year. THat last trip also got cut short to about 3 days due to the wife getting sick and wanting to go to Oahu early.

I've started doing research and think I'll settle on Lahaina Divers, and Cathederals, Hammerheads, and Lanai 3-tanker. They do these dives on specific days which makes it a bit difficult as we will only be on Maui for 5-6 days, and then flying to Oahu for the remainder of the vaca.

That leaves one day where I can do either the Carthinagian wreck or Molokini's backwall. I did both the crater and backwall the previous trip and the backwall of course was far superior. I've never done the wreck, and I love wrecks, but its fairly small isn'r it? What would you all recommend between these two?

Thanks in advance.

Then again, we may do Kona again for the side-trip, I never get tired of diving with the Mantas! I've done Socorro twice on liveaboards, and will go again in the near future! Just can't get enough!

Hanging on the backwall at 90 ft and listening to the humpbacks sing is one of my most memorable dives. But then, I'm not much of a wreck person.

Hanging on the backwall at 90 ft and listening to the humpbacks sing is one of my most memorable dives. But then, I'm not much of a wreck person.
I love wrecks but think, at the recreational level particularly, the whale song dive sounds amazing and I'd probably choose that as well.

You can hear the whale songs clearly at the Carthaginian too. There are some frogfish who’ve made a home there. The dives are very different. Both are good. I think I prefer the Carthaginian

You can hear the whales just snorkeling off Kaanapali. March-April you can probably hear them anywhere you stick your head under water. Pick a site based on what you think might be more interesting, the whale sounds will probably be everywhere.

Hanging on the backwall at 90 ft and listening to the humpbacks sing is one of my most memorable dives.

You can hear the whale songs clearly at the Carthaginian too.

You can hear the whales just snorkeling off Kaanapali
It wasn't just the whales, it was the combined Zen of the wall as far as the eye could see, in clear, sunny, blue water, and the whales in the background. The back wall or the whales, each alone, is nice, but the combo was powerful.

That leaves one day where I can do either the Carthinagian wreck or Molokini's backwall. I did both the crater and backwall the previous trip and the backwall of course was far superior. I've never done the wreck, and I love wrecks, but its fairly small isn'r it? What would you all recommend between these two?

Thanks in advance.
Backwall has SO much more to see. Tons of fish, nudis, lobster, sharks, and amazing structure. I didn't care for the Carthaginian. Not much to see, but one frog fish.
You are doing my other 2 favorites: backside of Lanai and hammerhead. Plus, you'll be there with whales! I'm jealous.

Thanks all. Sounds like the backwall is the consensus, and I'd have to agree after seeing some of the photos on Google images.

if you do all that with lahina divers, i recommend doing the backwall with the maui diamond. you’ll be able to see the difference between the 2 crews

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom