Chillies and Native Sons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmneus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any info about these two? I couldn't find prices or dive schedule for Native Sons on the website and I haven't heard back from them yet. I usually get a pretty quick reply on here, so....do they offer dive packages along with a room or separately? I want 3 dives per day, no less. Is equipment included? Would you say they are as good as some of the great things I've head about Ocean Connections and West End Divers?
They seem to be so conveniently located, more so than Seabreeze which was my other choice and maybe cheaper if I stay in the dorm, but can I get the 3 dives per day at an equally good price with Native Sons? Is Chillies overall comfortable and safe in the dorms for a single female?
Thank you!!!!

DO IT!! I was in Roatan last year for the month of May. While I stayed in Sandy Bay, all of my diving was with Native Sons and their guests from Chillies. Their staff is incredibly nice, laid back and you are allowed to dive how you wish. No DM's in training to babysit you. The majority of our dives were over an hour, not the standard 45 minute crap everyone else seemed to complain about. Alvin, the owner of both, is from my understanding, one of the founders of the Marine Park and just a generally nice guy. Told me if I ever come back and need work to look him up. Price wise they were very comparable to everyone else and dives get cheaper the more you do. Even more discounted if you bring your own gear and I can't say for certain but I think they shave another $5 off the price if you're staying with them. Their boat is also far faster than most of the dilapidated tubs you see every one else putting out to the sites on. When bad weather rolled in, they already had the boat on the South Side waiting for us so all we had to do was throw our stuff in the trucks and they drove us over there for a couple of days. Just a really accommodating shop all around.

They have the best location in West End hands down. Right across the street from Sundowners which is the first bar to close in the evening (@ 10pm) so you don't have to listen to the party crowd while you're trying to sleep. They are right between the 2 grocery options you have in West End and there are plenty of different eats accomodating any budget on both sides of them and on the beach out front. The people I was diving with that stayed at Chillies (there were a few single females) had nothing but good things to say about the rooms and we often used the communal kitchen out back to cook up our latest lionfish catch and then head over to Sundowners for a Monkey La-La and to catch the sunset.

If you go in the week before/after a full moon, make sure to ask about the "String of Pearls" night dive. One of the most amazing things I've witnessed to date.

I'm starting to wonder why the hell I moved to Hawaii instead.

Thank you so much! Maybe I'll plan my trip for that specifically to see the "string of pearls." Also, your advice really helped a lot, it really does sound like a great location, and $10 for a place to sleep, can't beat it. Just a bit concerned now that they won't have any spots open when I show up since I believe you can't reserve a bed in the dorms. I'm just waiting to hear back about pricing but from what you said it sounds like it will be good, they are oddly the only site without pricing.
Thank you for your help!!!

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2013 at 03:06 PM ----------

Just checked my email and heard back, the pricing is great, equipment included, now just the part where I hope a spot is available when I go. Thank you again!

Even if they don't have a dorm immediately available (they use them primarily for walk-in backpackers) you could splurge the first night or 2 and get one of their other rooms as they are quite nice for the (still reasonable) price. They will usually be able to tell you in person when they will have a dorm spot opening up. When you do go diving, try to get Eddie or Alex as your guides. Oh, not sure how long your trip is but make sure you can pay in cash as it's your cheapest option (CC's get some 15% surcharge). There are only 2 ATM's in West End and they are usually empty within a few hours of being filled as everyone wants to use cash and the machines most certainly won't get filled everyday. Your next ATM option is at the grocery stores in Coxen Hole (somewhere tourists have no business being if it can be avoided).

Or the ATM's at the airport. One of them dispenses Lempira.

IDK anything at all about it but there's another hostel nearby also now - if the gas station they reference is the one I know, about a 5 min. walk. servicios Roatan Backpacker La Buena Onda

If you couldn't find anything, Posada Arco Iris down the street (east) from Chillies is $36/42 for a studio. Argentinean Grille fronts it so it's pretty safe since there's people there till after 10 nightly.

We just got back from West End where we dove with West End Divers....great operation and people. We rented a house on Mangrove Bay/Bight so walked past Native Sons at least twice a day. I literally drooled over their dive boat....I've always loved boats and their's is a thing of beauty.

Also met the wonderful woman who owns/runs Chillies....she's from Victoria so we had a bit of a connection. The people who stayed at Chillies and dove with us at West End loved it. My impression is that you'll make friends fast, so won't have to worry about being on your own. Don't know how old you are, but West End is a younger crowd, than say West Bay.....our daughter and her friend (mid 20's) certainly enjoyed the social scene.

There is also an ATM at the "mall" in West Bay if you need cash and the ones in West End are empty.

There are some great restaurants in West End but you can't beat Pollo Carabena for baleadas or Rotiserrie Chicken for chicken and sides (a quarter chicken plus 2 sides is 120 L....for 40L more you get half the chicken). Anthony's Chicken is also great as well as the restaurant upstairs from West End Divers.....if you want a real treat, get some fish from the store just down the street from Native Sons and combine it with your favourite veggies from one of the "pickup truck" vendors or small stands....I have never eaten russet potatoes that tasted so good.

Have fun and enjoy the diving.

Thank you again!
I have another question. Does Chillies (or the other hotel/hostels in case no beds are open) have a safe for valuables. I'm a little concerned being a single young female that things may get taken while sleeping/diving, etc. Especially since I'm taking your advice and using all cash.
I heard great things about their dive boat, a big plus!
Yes, I figured I could just stay in the $22 room until one opened or there is always Georphi's nearby as well until a spot opens. I have a limited budget so I would much rather my money go to time underwater than above!
Thanks for the tips on restaurants, it's nice to know there are vendors around, fresh produce is something I'm looking forward to.

Georphis is a bit of a jaunt from Native Sons but perspective is everything. Nothing is very far in West End.

A guess on the safe is no. Maybe they have one in the office? Most cheaper construction on Roatan is such that it would be simple to unscrew/crowbar it off the wall/floor so I don't think many resorts bother. If Chillies is like CTD down the street, the cabins only have an exterior wood wall made of boards - floors are usually wood also but elevated to minimize the termite problem.

For cash etc, maybe get one of these and take it with you? http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=BrandDisplay&BrandName=Witz They'll still take your money if it's wet also. Although mine hasn't leaked - same one - in at least 7 years.

We rented a $1500/wk house on the point. No safe there either. I took a tether for my laptop and wrapped it around a water pipe. Figured someone would at least have to work at it that way while we were gone.

It's been my experience at many resorts that security people/watchman rent cheaply. Many are gated/guarded or have some sort of restricted access so anyone has to walk past the office etc. We had a guy who spent all day in a small hut near the property - his job was to watch it and fire up the generator when the power failed. Two of them actually on 12 hr. shifts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom