Roatan holiday for August'13, what's your opinion on hotel/resort to stay in West End

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

capper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have just booked a flight to Roatan for mid August and I'm looking for advice on what would be a good accommodation while there. Here's what I'm looking for:

-I'm a gal traveling solo so I want a safe place
-diving three excursions a week
-one meal a day /or no meals (I like trying different restaurants and eating when i want)
-a good beach near by (at least 1/3 of my time will be spent chillaxing in a lounge chair)
-social , where there are other english speaking persons (last year's trip to cozumel in August had me with hundreds of Italians and Argentinians who spoke no english :(
-fairly budget - in the $80 a night or lower range - i'm there for three weeks, I want to save my cash for the dives.
-some night life to be around..if safe.

Thanks for any help. I'm down to earth , and friendly and love to chat with people , not a crazy advanced diver like some of you guys are :wink: but I'm wanting to see some cool underwater sites this holiday.
Van Isle Gal

You may want to try West Bay instead. It's ~ 1 mi. down the coast from West End, several miles by car. It has, by far, the best beach and many nice places to stay and eat. Try Las Rocas - Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center - Our Resort, Foster's - Foster's West Bay Resort - Beachfront Cabana Rentals - Bay Islands Roatan, or Bananarama - Roatan Diving, West Bay Beach Resort, Bananarama Dive. Each of these has a dive shop along with restaraunts around. I've stayed with Foster's many times cause I like Foster and his family, very nice people. Each also has there own small restaraunt/grill onsite. Here's a decent map of the island showing the various areas - Luna Beach Resort - Maps . If you're into the condo thing, the newest place on West Bay is Infinity Bay - Roatan Resort and Luxury Roatan Hotel | Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort, new by pricey. For a solo lady diver (or single guy for that matter) you may feel more comfortable diving with female DI's., Anemona Divers - Anemona Divers at Foster's is owned by an Italian young woman, Sara, and most of the DI's are female. This was the case when I was there 2 years ago. English is the predominant language all over the island. Have fun!

No, you are on a budget so West Bay is not for you. None of which is to say you can't easily take the water taxi from West End to West Bay beach from time to time because yes, it is indeed lovely. Just don't go on cruise ship days if you can avoid it.

It's also pretty quiet down at West Bay in the evening, whereas in West End it's fairly easy to socialize.

My recommendation is that you do some research on accommodation.locations in West End with a particular consideration for a dive shop like Coconut Tree, who actually encourage their divers in social atmosphere. I stay at Seabreeze in a studio room comes with kitchenette, a/c, tv, it's small and about what one would expect for $45-50/night. Good security from the perspective there's always stuff around in the day and a security guard Manuel at night who will flow you or guide you to your room every night (make sure you have a little flashlight with you, in the evening).

Seabreeze is in the "center" of town but has no beach out front or even a view of the water but is within very short walking distance of all these things and more.

I dive with West End Divers, and have for years. Certainly I recommend them but recently have also been recommending Coconut Tree to single divers that might want a bit more of the social boost.

With your budget of $80/night you'll be able to find a bit finer accommodation I'd imagine.

On the other end of town from where Coconut Tree is located is Sueno del Mar, hotel and dive shop, rooms overlook a fine beach, each with balcony. Look them up on tripadvisor. Might be just what you want and they probably also offer a dive package deal. I used to stay and dive with them before they built the hotel they are in now. Haven't checked out the rooms lately but last time I looked they were still sweet.

No, you are on a budget so West Bay is not for you. .

West End can be a little dicey at night, especially for a single woman. I wouldn't recommend a woman by herself walking there late at night, not my wife, not my daughter, anyway. She indicated that $80/night is not unreasonable; not sure about Bananarama, but Las Rocas & Foster's have small cabins on the beach for less than that. Check em out. Much, much quieter and peaceful at night there. Swimming off the beach in West End could be hazardous due to the many boats coming and going! Good luck!

Lthomas, I'm a single woman who spends plenty of time in West End. No offence, but I really believe I've a better idea of what it is like there.

Lthomas, I'm a single woman who spends plenty of time in West End. No offence, but I really believe I've a better idea of what it is like there.

Maybe, been there many times myself. The restaurants/nightclubs might be OK early in the evening, but later evening is when the buggers come out! As I said, I would not want my wife or daughter out at night, by herself. At least in West Bay most of the hotels/resorts have security guards walking the premise at night.

Drug use and drug availability are rampant there. The govt. tries to keep most of it off of the islands (their honeypot, you know), but the mainlanders throng to the islands because of the extreme poverty on the mainland, bringing the crime and violence with them. Drug dealers approach tourists constantly, this I know. We were in a taxi going into West End one night and there was the Honduran Army standing across the road, the cabbie suddenly took a turn down another road. I asked what was that about, he said "mordita de usted" - a tip from you. You can't really even trust the police there. I still love Roatan, but you have to remember that you are in a 3rd world, not the states.

Well, there ya go. That never would have happened to you if you'd been staying in West End. :wink:

I've never been approached to buy or do drugs, whereas I've had acquaintances that sought that out with no trouble. (I'm not on favor of that in anyway, just so as we are clear).

I'm also not an early to bed type so have been out late more often than not. Still bars close at midnight week days so really kind of hard to be up too late anyway. Do t go looking for trouble and it is unlikely to find you. Don't walk/act like a victim and you won't likely be one.

It is my understanding that the tourist police are back. Be that as it may, the security guard Manuel at Seabreeze takes good care of me.

You can say what you say but since you are staying over in West Bay I can't help but question your real life experience in West End at night. Me, have been staying in West End since 2004, 1-3 week stretches, 2-4 times per year.

Well, there ya go. That never would have happened to you if you'd been staying in West End. :wink:

You can say what you say but since you are staying over in West Bay I can't help but question your real life experience in West End at night. Me, have been staying in West End since 2004, 1-3 week stretches, 2-4 times per year.

It happened in West End by Sundowners! Not to get into a contest with you, but beat ya down there.

The nicest on the beach property in the West End is probably Sueno^. Most other properties in the West End are across the street - don't know if that matters.

Coconut Tree also has cabins both behind their building and across the street. Friends have stayed there. Older but clean. The 1BR's can be had with full kitchens - even full sized appliances. I like Coconut Tree Divers, good people run it, PJ & Gay - British ex-pats - they're fun, socializing is beers on the honor system on their deck most afternoons and if they're graduating students that Friday the pub crawl with them is epic. As a customer you're invited. They have one of the larger boats on the West End and it's docked across the street.

Or Posada Arco Iris. Argentinean Grille is right in front so up to about 11PM there's somebody in the area. One thing I don't like about them is the orientation. All the units face a courtyard. So to see the water upstairs - you look over your neighbors decks. More of a kitchenette than kitchen also. But $50/1BR. We almost stayed there.

Woody's Market is next door also. The fish/produce trucks were usually out front about a block farther east. The other store in the area is at Coconut Tree. For long term groceries you're probably going to want to go hit Eldon's in French Harbor (nicest market on-island) or the grocery store in Coxen Hole. If you can work it out, stop from the airport. Cab stand is at the main entrance to the West End.

One other option - Sunset Villas condos - a little farther east from "downtown" but an easy 5min. or less walk. They're pretty new, quiet, gated, pool. $575/wk in the summer, she'll deal on longer rentals - I contacted her once. West End Vacation Rental - VRBO 440120 - 2 BR Roatan Condo Zoom in on their location map - the sandy point immediately south with the octagonal roofs - that's Lost Paradise. The long buildings just south of it are Sueno Del Mar^. The beach there is a little wider.

How's this for chillaxing on the beach? https://www.facebook.com/sundownersbeachbar But that's as wide as the beach is in that area though. It's 200' from Coconut Tree or Posada Arco Iris.

As a foodie, you probably want the West End. Coconut Tree lists some options, we've eaten at most of them. Standouts would be Oooloonthoo and Tong's. They don't mention Argentinean Grille - they grill good steaks. Eating In/Out | Roatan

Unless the West End has radically changed in the past 3 years, I agree with chilly more than lthomas. I didn't have any concerns about the West End. I rented a house on the east point and walked home several nights alone - of course I'm 6'4. I never once felt like there was a problem. Two single lady friends of mine who stayed at Coconut Tree Cabins that week didn't either. You probably shouldn't go between the West End and West Bay at night unless you're in a vehicle/water taxi. But I wouldn't go to Coxen Hole at night either - it's aptly named.

Last edited:
lThomas, don't care if you beat me there or not. You can't out "woman" me. I'm a single female, and you aren't. hee hee As I was trying to say, you were in a taxi (whether you were by Sundowners or not). If you'd been staying in West End, you'd not have been in the taxi. (being silly, yes, I know) Sorry, that happened to you but really, dude, really really really, you've not been a single female in West End . . . ever, whether you beat me there or not. :)

Food and drink is definitely less expensive in West End, than in West Bay, so even if capper gets a good deal on a room in West Bay, she'll still be paying more for food and drink than she would in West End. And social life is unbelievably quiet in the evenings. hey, that's fine for those that want to get to bed early after dinner . . . but some of us like to meet new people and have a few laughs before resting up for diving the next day.

Sundowner's is definitely the first stop of any evening. If one likes to get to bed early, it can be the last stop too. Closes around 9 or 10.

diversteve, thanks for the backup. Yes, being 6'4" would be helpful. :)

Back
Top Bottom