First dive in five weeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Conditions around Palos Verdes finally sucked just enough to allow us to travel to San Pedro to fill our gas tanks. After five weeks out of the water I was ready to kill everyone I met. We stopped at the Caissons for our planned first dive. Blue surface water was a warm 66° with a little wind and current. We pulled ourselves down the line to a thermocline at sixty-five feet that not only dropped the visibility, but dropped the temperature fourteen degrees. The dirty layer was so thick that we had a night dive at 9:30 in the morning.
The Caissons were covered with Speckled Rockfish Sebastes ovalis. Because of the poor visibility, they stayed pretty close to the top of the structure. There were also Blue rockfish, Vermilions, Sheephead and Blacksmiths.
After a short dive and a run to the filling station we headed back around the peninsula looking for a second dive site. The south side was getting rough, so we headed for the Redondo Beach Artificial Reef. The surface water here was brown, so we headed back in. I hope I won't have to wait another five weeks for my next dive.

Caissons1_zpsf6351dca.jpg

Caissons2_zps6a74afff.jpg

Caissons4_zps6b712c5f.jpg

Caissons6_zps5fc502b3.jpg

Caissons10_zps3d05f0ab.jpg

Caissons7_zpsfb4978e4.jpg

Caissons9_zps3f86586e.jpg

Caissons8_zps707ae311.jpg

Caissons11_zps6c102857.jpg

Caissons12_zpsda70691a.jpg

I hope you don't have to wait another five weeks, too, because I miss your pictures when you're dry!

It has been poor VIS around PV for quite a while now. Heck I have not dove with the DiveVets group at OML for a couple of months now.
Catalina has been having pretty good VIS and the water temp over there has been around 64.
When is the VIS here going to get better? Phil I saw your photo in the June issue of California diving with Merry looking back up at the boat from 50+ feet. Now that's the kind of VIS we need around here.

It has been poor VIS around PV for quite a while now. Heck I have not dove with the DiveVets group at OML for a couple of months now.
Catalina has been having pretty good VIS and the water temp over there has been around 64.
When is the VIS here going to get better? Phil I saw your photo in the June issue of California diving with Merry looking back up at the boat from 50+ feet. Now that's the kind of VIS we need around here.
That was less than a mile off Redondo last October. It lasted a couple of weeks.

Phil & Merry... we all know it isn't water conditions that kept you dry, it's the inability to re-adjust to local waters after a stay in the Philippines! I've only done 1 dive in the last five weeks (but plan to do more this weekend). By the way, it was warm here on Catalina until about a week ago when a "tongue" of cold water (52-54 F) entered the dive park and decided to hang around.

We had a few dives after returning, including some very good visibility for Kevin's last two dives. Then we had four weeks of sitting at home, fuming. I told Kevin we couldn't get out due to the curse of Kevin's Knee.

Thx for the pix... I've only had one dive in the past 5 weeks too. sux having full tanks just sitting around week after week. I went to Vets last night. divers said 5 foot viz. DiveVets Donna and Russel went in. I went in my car headed home teary eyed :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom