Can you dive tobermory in oct?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello folks:

I am planning to come to Canada in October and dive the Tobermory wrecks. Is diving still on that late in the season or does the season end in September? I have drysuit so I do not mind cold waters but would there be boats, dive operators and people to dive with?

Just wondering.

Thanks.

Yes you can dive Toby in October (I have). Just bring your own gear, of course (and maybe even food, too). Things close up soon after Labour Day but Perry Smith, the owner of G&S Watersports (G+S Watersports for Diving in Tobermory Ontario) lives up there and will come in to do an airfill. You have to call him on his cellphone which he posts on his storefront's door. He even rented me a BCD one year when I forgot mine in October.

Crane Day this year is Oct. 21st, so that's when the big boats come out of the water. But you can certainly dive off the deck at Little Tub Harbour (see the map on the bulletin board if you go there--P/M me). The Tobermory Princess Hotel stays open year-round (nice place) see Tobermory | Motels / Inns - Explore The Bruce - Bruce County.

Yes you can dive Toby in October (I have). Just bring your own gear, of course (and maybe even food, too). Things close up soon after Labour Day but Perry Smith, the owner of G&S Watersports (G+S Watersports for Diving in Tobermory Ontario) lives up there and will come in to do an airfill. You have to call him on his cellphone which he posts on his storefront's door. He even rented me a BCD one year when I forgot mine in October.

Crane Day this year is Oct. 21st, so that's when the big boats come out of the water. But you can certainly dive off the deck at Little Tub Harbour (see the map on the bulletin board if you go there--P/M me). The Tobermory Princess Hotel stays open year-round (nice place) see Tobermory | Motels / Inns - Explore The Bruce - Bruce County.

Thanks. Does this mean that there wont be any charter boats to dive from? I have been wanting to dive the wrecks there but most of those dont seem like they could be reached via shore dive.

Thanks. Does this mean that there wont be any charter boats to dive from? I have been wanting to dive the wrecks there but most of those dont seem like they could be reached via shore dive.

That's pretty much it. Diver's Den (Divers Den) has the Arabia (good dive) scheduled for early October but that'll still be weather dependent.

I don't know what Perry has going out from G&S because he takes divers out to their choice of site usually, and I'm not sure when he quits his charters for the season.

I agree with Pat, i used to dive up there in the mid 90's almost every weekend and Sept Oct was my favorite timeof the year.

We did Niagara II last October (late) from the shore and there was a charter moored over it so I guess they do go. Like others mentioned its the best time as it is already getting late for wet suit divers but it is relatively warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom