Maui and Kauai in August (new diver)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I recently got certified (NAUI open water) and will be traveling to Hawaii in August.

I have a friend who will show me around on Big Island, but I will also be spending some time on Maui (Aug 7-9) and Kauai (Aug 9-13). I was wondering if people have any recommendations for nice dives (or dive shops) on Maui or Big Island. I'll have my freediving gear with me but will need to rent the rest.

Aloha,
Max

I highly recommend Bubbles Below on Kauai. Completely happy with the dive op. I will actually be on the Big Island the 10-17 and am planning on going with Big Island Divers.

I like Fathom Five on Kauai.

Shore diving at Koloa Landing (south side) and Tunnels (north side) are well worth the effort.

Boat diving at places like Sheraton Caverns, out of Poipu, is excellent.

When you've got more experience, a trip to Ni'ihau will be excellent.

On Maui, much depends on where you are staying. If you are in the Kihei/Wailea area, and a new diver, I recommend B&B Scuba. They are extremely nice people and take very good care of novice divers. I would also recommend contacting Shaka Doug here on ScubaBoard, who runs shore dives. There is some VERY good shore diving on Maui!

Hey Max,
While you are on Kauai - Bubbles Below, Fathom Five and Sea Sport Divers would be great shops to dive with.

I am an Instructor with Fathom Five, so I would naturally recommend diving with me, but find which shop offers what you are looking for and you will not be disappointed.

If you have any direct questions about diving on Kauai, ask away or you can PM me.

Thanks a lot for the input. I am also looking into getting some experience with drift diving, can anyone recommend an operation in Maui to do that with?

Lahaina Divers does them once a week off Lanai.
Drift diving on the farside of Lanai.

Exploring the reefs beyond the moored dive sites, we travel to the farside of the island of Lanai for advanced drift diving at sites such as Barge Harbor, Joni's Jungle, Five Sisters, Triple Arches or Grand Canyon. If you have ever heard the briefing at Lighthouse, not to go out past the point or the current will take you away, imagine that as the starting point of your dive. Divers should have recent diving experience, good buoyancy control, and be good on air consumption. This dive site is not suitable for snorkelers. This dive requires each divers to carry a dive computer and a safety marker sausage. Charter operates Thursday.
Lanai Scuba Diving with Lahaina Divers

I've done the site past Lighthouse. (Sharkfin) That morning we were flying. To stop we had to drop down into a lava tube depression then crawl over the edge and hug the bottom to get back to the boat. In all fairness, the boat was moored inside the bay and only my buddy and I were out there.

Molokini's back wall is frequently live drop/pickup drift diving with one of the operators from Kihei that goes out there. They never really know till they get there though. It can also be undivable in which case they'll likely move closer to the point(s) and do something deeper. Maybe contact Ed Robinsons:
Description

We offer a more aggressive 2-tank trip geared toward divers who feel our regular charters do not fulfill their quest for adventure! These charters will most often be drift dives. This trip is offered on Sundays and Fridays and we invite experienced divers to join us for a new level of diving experience. If you are looking for more challenging dives, consider this trip! Great for experienced divers who want a shorter day than our 3-Tank Adventure trips.
Requirements

Divers must:

Be an Openwater Certified Diver or above
Have been diving within the last year
Have a minimum of 25 lifetime dives
Be comfortable with a maximum depth of 130 feet and rough ocean conditions
2-Tank Adventure scuba diving boat charter for experienced divers that want to see more

On the Big Island Kona Diving Co. is often recommended. Smaller stable boat. If you're near Kona. If you're up near Waikoloa either Waikoloa Divers or Kohala Coast Divers are much closer. One not to miss there is the Manta Night Dive. My buddy dove a south dive site and about 200 spinner dolphins joined them for about 10mins - IDK the name of it but KDC picked it.

On Kauai I used SeaSport. No complaints. Sheraton Caverns is the signature dive in that area. I also liked Fast Lanes. If you dive Tunnels, go with the guide from Fathom Five. I can't remember her name but she's often recommended. Their other operation - Ocean Quest - specializes in diving there.

Last edited:
I would not recommend the back wall for new divers. There's no hard deck, surface conditions can be a little challenging, and there can be current.

I've done some gentle drifts, though, closer to the island, as a second dive after a crater trip. It depends on how the ocean is behaving on any given day, I think, whether the operator chooses or can find a drift dive.

Zoom zoom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom