Finally got to dive the Dufferin Wall, Tobermory.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoredivr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The last two times I tried to dive this location either the weather didn't cooperate or I had ear problems. But I finally got out to see this excellent site. The wall is an underwater part of Niagara Escarpment, which starts out as limestone cliffs down in Niagara Falls, runs north through Tobermory, across to Manitoulin Island then curves around through Sault Ste. Marie, and over to Lake Michigan and into Wisconsin. It is the result of glaciers removing the limestone overburden deposited by a tropical coral reef about 180 million years ago IIRC, and leaving this spectacular series of cliffs through the province, sort of like the rim of giant plate.

Part of the Lady Dufferin wreck lies on a shelf at 90 ft, then there's the wall from 90 to 140-150. The slope continues down past 200 where the rest of the wreck is.

I did just the top 140, and what a view! 40F temp, lots to see of the broken up wreck. My new favourite dive site.

IMG_3142.jpgIMG_3143.jpg

Thanks to Chris Harnett for the pics.

I love the dufferin wall. Dove it 3 times or so. Scootered at different depths to get different views and its awesome.

End to end is about a 7-8 min scooter run.

Well I’ve dived the Dufferin Wall a few more times since that post ten years ago. It remains a favourite site, the way the wall just drops away is so cool.
A7CCEBA6-4076-4A54-B8B2-D369A9E1D134.jpeg
This photo of me at some part of the wall around 140’ is my fave.

I dived on Dufferin Wall last Saturday and Sunday. The weather was perfect. Our captain took a photo of us from the boat during our deco!

5909DC1F-D7FA-46A5-8BB9-D402775B962D.jpeg

I dived on Dufferin Wall last Saturday and Sunday. The weather was perfect. Our captain took a photo of us from the boat during our deco!

View attachment 804199
What a great photo! I was up in Toby this weekend too, passed your charter boat a couple of times!

Back
Top Bottom