First Tobermory Dive Trip Report - Sept/2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With the extended summer temps this month, I finally made it up to Tobermory for my first time ever this Thursday. I decided to do a very long day trip rather than stay overnight.

Tobermory

The drive from Mississauga to Tobermory was four hours but was very easy driving over smooth roads all the way up - took highways 403 to 410 to 10 north to 6 north all the way to Tobermory. There are quite a few motels in Tobermory as well as a few along highway 6 on the Bruce Penninsula so I would consider these for a weekend trip with my scuba group next summer. Cheaper hotels are in Wiarton and Owen Sound plus there are more services in those towns as well but it was 1.25 hours drive between Owen Sound and Tobermory so I don't know if we would want to drive back and forth when we do our future weekend trip. There are a several small independent restaurants in Tobermory with no chains in sight which is a breath of fresh air. But there is only one gas station in Tobermory.

I used Diver's Den for this quick trip. The other dive op is G+S Watersports but they never answered my emails so I gave my business to Diver's Den. Both dive ops are right beside the Tobermory harbour. And unlike most international destination dive ops, divers need to take rental tanks and other gear to the dive boat themselves but Diver's Den provides wagon carts for this and the distance is not very far - unlike in Brockville when we had to drive to the dive boats.

I had to pay $4 for the marine park pass since both dive sites for the afternoon were within the marine park. This pass can be purchased at the park office or at Diver's Den. The boat used today was the Bruce Isles which was a fairly adequate dive boat with an indoor cabin with head and back outside area for the dive staging area. My only issue was that the back benches did not have slots for the tanks but there was enough space in the back area for the six divers present with all our gear. The ladder in the back was one where the captain encouraged us to come up with our fins on which was a good thing in my case since my current fins were a bit tight for my new dry suit and I would otherwise have to struggle with both hands to rip off my fins at the ladder.

The Wrecks

Diver's Den runs morning dives to the deeper wrecks which I was told are usually the favourite dives among Tobermory regulars including the Arabia, Forest City and Niagara II. Since I was still new to my dry suit, I wanted to be conservative and stick with more shallow dives for now which their afternoon schedules accommodate. So based on the weather conditions that day, the captain chose to go to the King and Wetmore wrecks.

The King wreck was a really easy dive with access lines right to the wreck itself from the surface. The bow starts at about 20 feet depth. Visibility was okay (I can never estimate visibility distances - all I know is that I was able to see more at Tobermory than during my recent Brockville dives). The King sits on a slope with the stern down deeper. We went down around the stern which my dive computer had at 68 feet. The water temperature at the bow was 68 degrees F and towards the stern, there was a definite thermocline as my computer read 63 degrees. I was fine though with my dry suit, dry suit hood and tropical gloves. I would be better off with cold water gloves which I will buy for next summer. The other dives had rented 7 mm wetsuits and they said they were fine.

The next dive was the Wetmore which was a very shallow wreck at only 20 to 22 feet throughout. The only problem we had with this wreck was that there is no access line to it. We overswam it the first time and went close to the far rocks which was at 6 to 10 feet - we could actually stand on the rocks and poke our heads out of the water to see where we were. When we came back in the right direction, we found the Wetmore and it is actually a nicer wreck with more to see than the King. It is a larger one too with boilers sticking up and a huge anchor found adjacent to the wreck.

Both dive sites had some fish, probably bass or walleye, with lots of little gobies on the bottom. We also saw a few crayfish at the Wetmore.

Next summer, I would really love to dive the Caves site which is also a shallow dive but with interesting swim throughs and rock formations. I would also be up for at least one of the top three deeper wrecks as well. So for our group, I was the test diver to scout out Tobermory and would report that it is definitely a dive destination going to as we will plan a weekend trip (or two) up there next summer.

glad you liked it toby was really great in the 70s and 80s very affordable , could go almost every weekend , not so much now but great viz and a fun time whenever I get up there ........

Out of curiosity - any shore diving in Tobermory? Or is everything charter only?

yes there's several .. maybe the toby expert stoo will pipe in ........

yes there's several .. maybe the toby expert stoo will pipe in ........

The Lighthouse and Little Cove are nice dives especially at night

Thanks - I am in Goderich this weekend and the water here is SUPER rough - to rough for a shore dive. Any idea on where I could get conditions for Toby? Are the shore dives in a bay that is protected? I notice the Big Tub and small tub are kind of protected, wonder if I could salvage the weekend and dive it tomorrow?

image.jpg

Map above is for Wiarton.

Tobermory: Wind direction for diving the Lighthouse is good if it's from the northwest, south, west.

Wind direction for diving the Tugs is good if it's from the south, west, east, north. :)

I see NW at 25km on the weather network (if I believe it). You should be fine in Tobermory at the Lighthouse or Tugs.

You can also shore dive at Cedar a Hill park east of Wiarton

Last edited:
Sorry for the tardy reply... ;-)

But yes, lots of shore diving here. Several sights already mentioned... Lighthouse and Little Cove?Dave's Bay. There is also The Tugs right near my place and further down the road, you may be able to access the northern shore via Trail's End Lodge. This is a deep wall dive. (Ask the owner, Art Amos" for permission). Just be aware of the weather diving here. A northerly "gagger" will make you entrance tricky, even dangerous.

If you bring a cart, you can also access the north shore via "Mermaid's Cove" which is found at the end of along trail from the end of Ivan Watson Blvd. Access is into a sheltered cove, but a 7 minute swim will drop you into deep water.

The odd masochist will hoof it to the grotto... Can't say I ever have.

Sorry for the tardy reply... ;-)

But yes, lots of shore diving here. Several sights already mentioned... Lighthouse and Little Cove?Dave's Bay. There is also The Tugs right near my place and further down the road, you may be able to access the northern shore via Trail's End Lodge. This is a deep wall dive. (Ask the owner, Art Amos" for permission). Just be aware of the weather diving here. A northerly "gagger" will make you entrance tricky, even dangerous.

If you bring a cart, you can also access the north shore via "Mermaid's Cove" which is found at the end of along trail from the end of Ivan Watson Blvd. Access is into a sheltered cove, but a 7 minute swim will drop you into deep water.

The odd masochist will hoof it to the grotto... Can't say I ever have.

Stoo, so, I know I can search and find this info sooner or later - I've started to look and "I'll get there eventually... I also know that I will struggle in separating the good info from the overall "wealth" of info to be found. Seems like this is your backyard and you've been plowing it for a while now.

Beyond this info on this site:
Parks Canada - Fathom Five National Marine Park - Diving
Would you be willing to give a few pointers as to where to not miss looking (internet, forum threads, or even book/s) so as to arrive at the info necessary for planning a first time trip to Tobermoy - likely with a limited amount of boat diving, but if feasible with the main focus on "self supported" shore and kayak diving (and I can find a cart to bring too...) --- it's a budget thing - and a want to do thing (some weird kind of self supported guy BS thing in the back of my head...) .... You know collecting info to the point of detail so that one indeed has a fair shot at ending up at the roughly right access area, w/o trampling trample through someones flower bed to get there, knows the local rules & agreed on customs, knows when weather & sea is going to be "bad" for diving (and where to check)... and doesn't end up pushing a cart (or a kayak) laden with dive gear down some path leading to someone's backyard instead off an access point... or do the one thing that will p... off everybody else... ... and once in / on the water may even find "the wreck"...

Yeah, and I'll take the flaming for asking someone who appears to know and not quietly just figuring it out all on my own first...

Last edited:
Stoo... Seems like this is your backyard and you've been plowing it for a while now.

Hey no worries... Always happy to yab about diving... Technically, the Lake is in my front yard, but I first dove there in 1974, ran a dive operation from '79 to '81, and I have had a house there since '89. I still log maybe 70 dives a year there, as recently as two weeks ago!

So the obvious places to look for info are the two dive shops in town... Divers' Den (Kelly and Mike) and G+S (Perry)...

Divers Den Tobermory - Dive & Snorkel the wrecks in Tobermory Ontario
G+S Watersports Ltd.

They have good info on their sites. Have a look at my website linked below. Most of the "Shipwreck" section is from Tob, as well as many "Divers" images.

A couple of "flaws" in your plan... First of all, to dive Tobermory "mostly" from the shore runs the risk of missing out on literally all of the best dives. Assuming you are comfy diving in 100'-150' of very cold water (even in August, below 60 - 70 feet) the wrecks of the Arabia, Forest City, Niagara (mostly) won't be available to you... Mind you, you could likely hit all three in one full-day charter, although that's a lot of bubbles...)

Shore diving is laid out pretty well in those brochures. You can't miss the Lighhouse (If you do, your car is going to be at the bottom of the lake). The Tugs are marked with a parking area as well as a nice platform to dress on.... Don't panic... this isn't August but I only dive at the Tugs in the winter...

Me Tugs platform.jpeg

Regarding your kayak, be aware that that is still considered a "boat". As such. if you paddle out to one of the wrecks, you can't just tie it to the mooring and dive. There needs to someone in the boat at all times if you are at a mooring. One of the little details that the Park staff won't tell you is that if your boat is outside of the restricted boating area which surrounds each of the wrecks, then you can leave it untended. For sites like the Arabia, this would be a really dumb idea! It's at least a mile from the nearest Island and about 3 miles from the mainland. On the other hand wrecks like the Philo Scoville (90'), James C. King (90'), and Wetmore (25') are only about a mile from the harbor and they lie alongside Russell Island. There's no reason at all that you couldn't just pull your kayak up on the shore and do those as "shore dives". Just be aware that there is a good reason why there are a lot of shipwrecks around Tobermory. The weather can kick up here very quickly and potentially leave you in a tricky situation if you are very far out. Most people that paddle beyond the Harbor entrance are using proper sea kayaks. The Coast Guard haul in a surprising number of kayakers that have been caught by the wind and blown out into the Lake. Mind you those are mostly tourists that are in the rental boats, and obviously it's their first time.

Little Cove (Dave's Bay locally) is a nice sheltered Bay with "easy" road access a few miles south of town. I say "easy" if the road has been graded recently. If not, it's more a 4WD adventure. It's a popular spot for checkout dives because of the easy access and stone bottom which resists silting. A few people with scooters leave from the head of this bay and scooter three quarters of a mile or so to the Niagara. She's a fake wreck, sunk intentionally a few years back and the only steel wreck there (for now). Again, in theory, you could do that in a kayak on the right day since the record is only about 200 feet from shore. There is a guideline that runs from about 30 feet to just shy of the wreck site, which is about 100 feet deep maximum. Again, just remember that if you were out there by yourself or just you and your buddy and one of your has a problem it's entirely possible that no one will ever know about it. Cell coverage and a lot of these areas is very poor or nonexistent. If you're planning on venturing far from shore in your kayak you might want to invest in a handheld VHF marine radio, if you don't have already. Many visitors to the area come here expecting to find a quaint little"Lake". Tobermory sits at the end of a peninsula between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay and it's surrounded in hundreds of miles of open water.

Further out (and definitely by charter boat), the San Jacinto and the City of Cleveland are must do's if the weather cooperates. They are always combined and often a first dive on the Arabia is part of the full day.

The lesser known sites I mentioned (mermaid's cove, north shore/Trails End) are easy to find... just ask at the shops when you get your fills.

Does that help?

Oh ya...

If you look on YouTube etc, there are bazillions of videos about the different wrecks. A search for "Arabia Tobermory" brought up 868 results!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom