weather in Roatan December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcdougal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all, first trip to Roatan first week of December, can't wait. Staying/diving at AKR. What kind of weather can we expect, are the bugs bad then, etc? Thanks in advance!

its going to be a bit rainy, oct-nov are the wettest months of the year (they can be monsoon like) gradually tapering off until the end of rainy season in february. could just pour down here and there or you could get entire days of rain, you never can tell.

One good thing about AKR is that if the north side get blown out - happens sometimes in that timeframe - AKR has the resources to move the boats around to the south side and shuttle you over.

Check out the West End one night, you're only 5mins. away by cab. That should be a sub-$10 ride.

On our first trip in December we had fronts come through for the first part of the week. Not a terrible thing as AKR will bus you to the south side but you typically miss out on one dive/day as a result. The up side is you will get to see more of the south side which is unique in itself. On our second trip in December we had really good weather all week and then one heck of a storm came through and basically shut everything down the last two days of our stay. I had purchased an extra night so we could dive on Saturday but the storm hit on Friday during breakfast and I've never seen it rain so hard for so long. I had a dive mask case inside our room on the night stand next to the shutters and it had 2 inches of water in it in a couple of hours. It rained ( insert deluge) for a good 24 hours straight and stopped outbound flights on Saturday. Long story short, it's kind of a crap shoot (which is why they discount the rates) but I wouldn't hesitate to book in December again

Been there once in late December. The weather was beautiful the whole time we were there. Stayed at AKR. I know it isn't always that way but it was on that trip.

SEVEN-YEAR PERIOD
Month.... Average Temp... Average inches of rain... Average rainy days
January......76.9.........................12.18... ..........................13
February.....78.6..........................3.52... ............................8
March.........80.6..........................2.66.. .............................4
April...........82.0.............................9 .6.............................3
May............83.4..........................2.11. .............................4
June...........84.4...........................2.22 .............................5
July............84.4...........................6.3 5.............................11
August........84.4...........................5.21. ............................11
September...85.0..........................4.99.... ..........................7
October.......82.4...........................14.97 ............................14
November....79.1...........................19.89.. ..........................18
December....78.0............................14.26. ..........................16

Hey mcdougal, just five minutes ago my wife and I booked a November trip to AKR, so we had the same concerns about weather that you do. We were swayed by AKR's second-diver-half-off promo PLUS Delta having award seats available for the ATL-RTB nonstop route at only 35,000 Skypesos. If not for the AKR promo, we would have gone with Cocoview.

We're prepared for a little rain and cooler weather, but so what.

Heck, I prepare for a little rain in July and August, For November I prepare for monsoon type weather and am happy if we only get a little rain

Hmm. Well, the stats posted by Doc/RoatanMan are what they are. We're pretty much limited by our schedules to Thanksgiving time for our Caribbean dive trips, so we're used to rain. Is Roatan that much rainier than Cozumel in November? From the stats, it definitely seems rainier than Bonaire in November. Just looking for somewhere different to go. I've been to Roatan once before, but it was in May-June.

Back
Top Bottom