The Honeymooners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
It's been a long time since I dived Honeymoon Cove. The kelp outside the cove has been thick this year, so I looked on Google Earth for any part of the reef that had enough relief to make it worthwhile. I found a few rocks offshore that top off around thirty feet with the bottom around seventy. One really stood out, so I wrote down the coordinates and motored around the hill.

HoneymoonCove_zpsab3c4140.jpg

HoneymoonCove1_zpsf2e1d43f.jpg

HoneymoonCove3_zps314c216d.jpg

HoneymoonCove2_zpse67be13f.jpg

The numbers put us right on the center of the reef. I made a giant stride and before my lips broke the surface I yelled, "Wow!" This was the best visibility I have ever seen near shore in Palos Verdes. The surface water was clear enough to see the stern of our boat from at least fifty feet away. I was surrounded by kelp and the ever present blacksmiths. I thought I was at Catalina for a moment. Visibility on the reef was better than thirty feet, and I always give a conservative number.
Less than a minute after checking the anchor I found two Hopkin's Rose nudibranchs laying eggs. A Cuthona divae placed its eggs next to a hedgehog hydroid a few feet away. It isn't Hawthorne Reef nor Buchanan's, but this little gem had quite a bit of life for such a shallow site. I even managed to get a blue banded and a zebra goby to hold still long enough to compose a shot.

HoneymoonCove5_zpsf9075f30.jpg

HoneymoonCove9_zps88da2896.jpg

HoneymoonCove11_zpsa1343e0c.jpg

HoneymoonCove13_zpsbaeb2ae1.jpg

HoneymoonCove19_zpsf3441fd3.jpg

HoneymoonCove21_zps1578c38c.jpg

HoneymoonCove23_zpsf31d8075.jpg

HoneymoonCove22_zpsf6b2db56.jpg

HoneymoonCove20_zps22b82fb1.jpg

HoneymoonCove17_zpsdfe96dac.jpg

HoneymoonCove12_zpsf532dac5.jpg

HoneymoonCove14_zpsdfc50d8d.jpg

HoneymoonCove18_zpsbcca06c0.jpg

Bryozoan on kelp

HoneymoonCove7_zpsca367d0d.jpg

HoneymoonCove6_zps4afc473c.jpg

A garibaldi was kind enough to let me stick my lens in his nest.

Love the Cockerell's shots -- those are among my favorite slugs.

Back
Top Bottom