Molokai Hammerheads - best time to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquamanKauai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Aloha and thanks for your help in advance,

I've gotten mixed info regarding trips to Molokai for the Hammerheads. 10-12 years ago when I lived on Maui Lahaina Divers was the only boat going to Molokai with some regularity in the summer months. On occasion Extended Horizons would go but usually last minute decisions. Now I understand that sometimes trips are made in the winter (or according to one message I got). Anyone have recent experience with either company? And has anyone gone in the non-summer months when wind and swell permitted?

Thanks for your help
A

We dived with Lahaina Divers this past New Years day for the hammerhead dive. Except we didn't see any hammerheads. We were told the hammerheads are scarce when the whales are present (November to March timeframe). Molokai was a nice dive and Lahaina Divers ran a great operation, but we were disappointed in not seeing hammerheads. Next time we're in Maui between April and October we'll probably try to see hammerheads - for the first time

I've tried the trip with Lahaina Divers 4 times at various times of year. Twice we didn't make it and ended up in Lanai due to conditions (once in June and once in October). On a trip in November we did see a couple but only a couple and from a distance. That trip we had a very rough crossing (which tells you what it was like when we couldn't make it- they try to get there no matter what). There also were no whale sightings to speak of in the channel as yet. The last trip was this past January and a much smoother ride but no sharks, and LOTS of whales in the channel.

I went out with Lahaina Divers on their Hammerhead trip last year at this time (Sept.) and we saw 8 hammerheads up close!! It was a great dive and we were lucky to have pretty smooth water the whole way out and back. It was awesome. If you go, do yourself a favor and stick close to the guide. He will know where to look. Do not lag behind. Over half the people in our group did just that and saw NOTHING!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom