Fukushima

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangelion03

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
UPDATE: The link below appears to no longer be valid. There was an image displayed that was not related to the content of the article. I apologize for the error. I will not, on the other hand, apologize for my anger at the fact that it is still indeed the worst environmental catastrophe in human history and there is nothing really being done about it. Choose not to worry about it if you want.

More like " Fukushima-ed". Seriously people, what the hell can we do about this?????

At the Very Least, Your Days of Eating Pacific Ocean Fish Are Over | Hawaii is Hot

I am so -ucking angry about this. Who gives a flying $hit about Syria, or anything else for that matter. This is a matter of life and DEATH. OURS!!!!!! The Pacific Ocean is pretty much doomed. Yet...nothing...nothing at all...no one is screaming for the US or the UN to do anything. The three major superpowers all share the Pacific and derive economic benefits from it but as far as I know, none have called for drastic measures and cooperation to contain or reduce the flow of radioactive material (if even possible).

Kill off a few of your own people with nerve gas and it's WAR. Kill off the engine that drives our climate, feeds millions and all I hear is -ucking crickets. The worst environmental disaster in human history.

You better make plans for that Pacific dive trip soon...you may not want to in a few years. No more sushi for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification on the map. I was not aware of that.

So there is nothing to worry about...nothing at all...I'm relieved...

---------- Post added August 29th, 2013 at 12:34 PM ----------

Apparently, that link is no longer valid either. Sorry to trouble you all. Like I said, nothing to see here...

I've noticed the seafood I've been eating lately tastes a little "spicier" than normal. I actually kind of like it.

I will not, on the other hand, apologize for my anger at the fact that it is still indeed the worst environmental catastrophe in human history

The Red Forest and forever abandoned city of Pripyat was never able to be cleaned and that was on land. No one is going to be able to fix a spill in the ocean. The person who comes up with the means to do so will win a Noble Peace Prize.

It takes a very loose definition of 'worst environmental catastrophe' to call Fukushima as such. VERY loose.

But hey, if we're talking about radioactive materials in the ocean, you should go check this out! :

Ocean disposal of radioactive waste - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You might sit before reading it. If Fukushima is the worst thing ever then this should blow your socks off!

The Red Forest and forever abandoned city of Pripyat was never able to be cleaned and that was on land. No one is going to be able to fix a spill in the ocean. The person who comes up with the means to do so will win a Noble Peace Prize.

It takes a very loose definition of 'worst environmental catastrophe' to call Fukushima as such. VERY loose.

But hey, if we're talking about radioactive materials in the ocean, you should go check this out! :

You might sit before reading it. If Fukushima is the worst thing ever then this should blow your socks off!
Russians are awesome. This reminded me of Lake Karachay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I especially like:

"Starting in the 1960s, the lake began to dry out; its area dropped from 0.5 km2 in 1951[1] to 0.15 km2 by the end of 1993.[6] In 1968, following a drought in the region, the wind carried 185 PBq (5 MCi) of radioactive dust away from the dried area of the lake, irradiating half a million people"

I hate being irradiated by radioactive dust

OK, you caught me...I confess to hyperbole.

Read that...frightening indeed. We are so effed. Gonna be a great world for our grandkids!

Due to my interests in submarine (vessels) history and technology, been following Bellona.org for a few years now... one article for example: (2001 so things are probably worse) http://www.bellona.org/filearchive/fil_The_Arctic_Nuclear_Challenge.

There was the Rocketdyne meltdown just near where you live so maybe there is hope your grandkids will survive this.

Back
Top Bottom