Whistling sound coming from my Oceanic EOS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elsewhere

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I've had my oceanic eos for almost 2 years now. During my first year, I would hear a whistling (like blowing over an empty beer bottle) sound when I was below 1000 psi. I got it serviced after the first year. I've noticed the whistling has gotten louder. Now, I hear it all the time and it seems to be harder to breathe through my reg. Anyone experience something similar and is there a fix for it?

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with that reg sorry, is it a piston reg?

Have you had it looked at? There will be a fix once the cause has been identified.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2013 at 08:46 PM ----------

I ask about whether its a piston reg or not as its not uncommon for piston regs to sometimes develope a whistle usually the piston needs some lube. I've experienced this myself.

Is the whistling coming from the second stage or the first stage. I believe that the Eos is normally sold with an FDX-10 first stage with DVT. The DVT can sometimes cause a whistling sound. I once dived with a buddy who had a new Oceanic reg with DVT, and I could hear the whistle with every breath she took--and I do not hear very well. It was so annoying to her that she borrowed a different reg for the remainder of the trip. Believing that there was a fix, I contacted a friend who is an Oceanic dealer. He said that some are just noisy, and his usual fix was to remove the DVT. This was early on, and I would hope that by now Oceanic has a solution.

I suspect the DVT is the culprit. We had DVT regs with this same issue. Note past tense.

It's coming from the FDX-10 first stage. I think it is related to the DVT too. I'm going to bring it to a dive shop here to have them look at it.

See if you can find a DIN kit or just get rid of the DVT. It's nothing but a gimmick anyway. All it did was add $100 to the price of the reg with no real benefit.

Jim,
Granted it can be noisy but the fact is that the street price of the regs that come equipped with that first stage are among the least expensive of those considered to be perfect breathing (virtual zero effort) on the breathing effort machine. It also had the best record of the last NOAA trials for cold water regs and this against regs far more expensive. Good reasons that NOAA adopted them for use. So how do you claim it to be a gimmick that just added $100 to the cost? The street price of the DIN version isn't $100 less. It's there for a reason and that is to help protect this environmentally sealed first stage from moisture intrusion while swapping tanks and rinsing the regulator. It is part of the reason this regulator is as reliable as it has proven to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom