"Dive Medic" ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive_turkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, on another thread I saw somebody make reference to this title, "Dive Medic." As a medic in the army, a former flight medic (add some altitude physiology, barotrauma, pharmacology, and autonomy to the scope of practice, as well as the experience of treating patients in an austere environment), I'm really curious about this "dive medic" concept.

Is this an organizational (NAUI, PADI, SSI)/credentialed title, or something somebody made up to describe their EMT friend with an OW cert...???

If it is legit, I'd be really curious what the qualifications are, what the training includes, who offers it, etc...

I'd be really interested if my current or past alphabet cards (EMT, BLS, ACLS, PHTLS, ITLS, PEPP, PALS, etc...) count towards the criteria for qualification.

If anyone knows anything, that'd be great.
Thanks!

Never mind, I just found the info on the DAN website. However, if anyone is inclined to comment on the subject of being a Dive Medic, I'd still love to see what you have to say!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
I've never heard of it. I had a PA, Special Forces who did the Army dive school. If a military medic did the same, or perhaps was a Navy Seal Medic, would they be called a "dive medic?". I don't know.

No. They would be called an "18 delta" or a "seal".

Aren't all Navy SF folks trained as medics to some degree past Basic First Aid? Perhaps as MPIC equivalents (EMT without the ambulance rotation, Medical Person in Charge)

Reactions: Jax
it may be just something someone calls himself or herself. Perhaps this person is both an EMT and a Diver and just combines them in the status line.

The only thing I have ever heard of close to Dive Medic is a DMT through DAN. They are trained for diving related issues including hyperbaric operations. You must be a EMT at a minimum to go to the course.
There are other specific medic roles, tactical, flight, traveling, etc. they all have specific training requirements for the specialities. Most of them require a national certification as a prerequisite to their training.

There are also a number of DMT certifications offered by commercial diving school. Most (if not all) require a EMT license as a minimum pre-rec. It is actually something I've considered, but I simply do not have the time to do the two separate courses :(

Back
Top Bottom