Solo diving...is this a good reason?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, you're one sick mofo, lol. Yeah but Spare Airs simply don't have enough air...if I got a redundant air source, I'd get a pony, at least a 30.

OMG.... A 30 CF pony. Why that's an overkill. All the cave divers swears by Spareair. Why.. Just ask TSM and especially Dannydon. Danny loves the spareairs!!

Find some total stranger at the local dive shop who is willing to dive with a stranger who is too scared to dive alone and has only 35 dives... You will definitely be much safer..:shakehead::shakehead:

No. It's a very bad reason. It should be very easy to find a buddy in Monterey, especially since you are a member of Scubaboard.

Next, let's look at the safety aspect. According to your profile, you have made a total of 34 dives. Unless you've left a couple hundred dives out of your profile, you do not yet have the experience to even consider diving solo. Don't rush it. Dive with a buddy for now.

To that I would add that the mere existence of this thread militates against it. If you need to validation of a solo diving decision from a bunch of faceless names on the internet, then you're not ready to solo dive.

If I where on the internet looking for opinions. I would spend that time to find someone to dive with.

I'm not against solo diving just don't think if you are asking about it here that you are ready.

OMG.... A 30 CF pony. Why that's an overkill. All the cave divers swears by Spareair. Why.. Just ask TSM and especially Dannydon. Danny loves the spareairs!!

A Spare Air is what, 3 CF or some piss poor amount like that? Sure, it /may/ get you to the surface if you're at 30 feet or shallower, but good luck getting to the surface with a Spare Air if you're at a decent depth...

Ha! took the OP about forty minutes to get a dive buddy on the Norcal forum.

Really? That's funny, I could have sworn the person who responded didn't even know if they would have that weekend available yet or not.

Find some total stranger at the local dive shop who is willing to dive with a stranger who is too scared to dive alone and has only 35 dives... You will definitely be much safer..:shakehead::shakehead:

Too scared? Considering I didn't mention that anywhere in my original post, clearly you must be afflicted by the "Can't Read" malady. I hear there's a simple cure for it found at your local Borders or Barnes & Noble...

To that I would add that the mere existence of this thread militates against it. If you need to validation of a solo diving decision from a bunch of faceless names on the internet, then you're not ready to solo dive.

Quite true, or perhaps I was looking for other people's opinions, nothing more nothing less. I figure I got about 10+ opinions, perhaps 2-4 of them were good and the rest of the responses were worthless, pointless, or both. But hey, 2-4 decent opinions is still reason enough to ask in my opinion. I don't presume to know it all...I fail to see why so many of you guys apparently think you do.

If I where on the internet looking for opinions. I would spend that time to find someone to dive with.

I'm not against solo diving just don't think if you are asking about it here that you are ready.

Fair enough.

Normally your posts are more helpful, not so sarcastic.

dumpsterDiver,
It is better to get a buddy that actually has experience in diving the Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur area. The NorCal section has many experienced divers that dive almost any day of the week. The OP can most likely solo easily inside the Southern portion of the Monterey Bay, but if with an experienced buddy may explore Pt Lobos, Carmel Bay, Carmel River SB, Big Sur, etc.

North Coast Divers - Dive Connection
North Coast Divers Board is another source for SCUBA divers in Northern California. I spearfish and dive for abalone, so I have been diving with SpearBoard members the past few months.

There is a fishing tournament in the Northern Monterey Bay Santa Cruz area 4th of July weekend. Check BloodyDecks. Halibut, Ling Cod, WSB, good size blue Rockfish.

I would rather see a diver lay out his plan, considerations and experience looking for second opinions than arrogantly head off without a consultation. The OP did not ask for permission to go solo rather if anyone saw gaps in his planning.

People have many sorts of decision making styles ranging from autonomy to collaborative.

Pete

knowledge from the wise men
caution from the experienced
sarcasm from smarta$$e$

just some of the many services offered by your friendly local(global) SB!

I took advice a couple years ago from some of the same people who replied today.
An extra 50 enjoyable dives and a rescue class have me closer to being a solo diver.

Buddies share beer and gas! Unfortunately, sometimes in that order.

Normally your posts are more helpful, not so sarcastic.

dumpsterDiver,
It is better to get a buddy that actually has experience in diving the Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur area. The NorCal section has many experienced divers that dive almost any day of the week. The OP can most likely solo easily inside the Southern portion of the Monterey Bay, but if with an experienced buddy may explore Pt Lobos, Carmel Bay, Carmel River SB, Big Sur, etc.

North Coast Divers - Dive Connection
North Coast Divers Board is another source for SCUBA divers in Northern California. I spearfish and dive for abalone, so I have been diving with SpearBoard members the past few months.

There is a fishing tournament in the Northern Monterey Bay Santa Cruz area 4th of July weekend. Check BloodyDecks. Halibut, Ling Cod, WSB, good size blue Rockfish.

Yeah, there's pretty much no way in hell I would try to solo dive Pt Lobos, anywhere in Carmel, or Big Sur....that's just stupid. In fact, I tend to be on the conservative side, so I probably wouldn't even dive the other easy, beginner sites I've been to such as Breakwater and McAbee because I haven't dove them enough to know the dive site inside out. Sounds like it's going to be a zoo in Monterey though...good, maybe there'll be an abundance of freshly caught halibut for sale! :wink:

I would rather see a diver lay out his plan, considerations and experience looking for second opinions than arrogantly head off without a consultation. The OP did not ask for permission to go solo rather if anyone saw gaps in his planning.

People have many sorts of decision making styles ranging from autonomy to collaborative.

Pete

Pete, you pretty much hit the nail on the head as usual...as a result of working in medicine, I'm used to consulting with others before making decisions, because with medicine as with diving, a mistake has much greater consequences than normal.

knowledge from the wise men
caution from the experienced
sarcasm from smarta$$e$

just some of the many services offered by your friendly local(global) SB!

I took advice a couple years ago from some of the same people who replied today.
An extra 50 enjoyable dives and a rescue class have me closer to being a solo diver.

Buddies share beer and gas! Unfortunately, sometimes in that order.

:rofl3: tell me about it, I can pretty much sit down with a bowl of popcorn, a soda, and be entertained for hours if I want to by reading posts on here. Yeah, buddies are great for sharing beer and gas, although I've found the best use for a buddy is having him/her drive while you pass out. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom