Solo Kit setup: the required, redundant, optional, and hell-no items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diving by yourself was far more relaxed before those opposed to it turned it into a qualification still frowned upon

Make sure the person you're diving with -- i.e. you -- are OK with sorting out problems underwater and not panicking which only makes things worse.

13m/45ft is pretty shallow and you won't be going anywhere near your decompression limits. If you had a freeflow you could easily ascend from that depth. Even if you notice the breathing getting tight (i.e. out of gas) you'd still be able to get to the surface.

Make sure you can get to your kniveS and line cutterS. Be really anal about your pre-dive checks. Make sure you set a prudent turn pressure and be aware of getting caught in currents or offshore winds. Bring a compass and check it when you're going in!

Main thing is to not do anything brave/foolish even though nobody's looking.

As to boat diving solo, that is a no. Someone should be on the boat.

Agreed. And I always have someone on the boat, if for no other reason than to keep it from being "borrowed"!

Needed:
Redundant air supply - stage bottle (19cuft min for those depths but a 30 is better) or sidemount set up.
Primary and two backup lights.
DSMB (small) w/spool and large DSMB or SMB.
Mirror for self-checks underwater.
Two cutting devices accessible with either hand.
Backup mask.
Written checklist and dive plan.
Computer and backup or bottom timer and tables.
That's pretty much a general gear list.
Surface signaling devices.
Cell phone with a charged battery where you can get to it fast. On the boat or in your car of course. Unless you have a housing for it.
Other essentials are a written plan left with someone you trust with the expected return time and how long to wait before calling someone.
A frank discussion with your loved ones about what you are doing and that if something happens, your body may never be recovered. And if it is, unless right away, it's not going to be pretty.
I'm a retired solo, recreational, and technical instructor.
well jim pretty much nail it.

Seems a bit excessive for a 45min / 45ft dive - Just an opinion.
I trained as a tech diver and was a tech instructor. Having two computers or one and a backup in the form of a bottom timer and tables was part of my standard kit, and I never saw a reason to deviate from that just because it wasn't a tech dive. I carried the same kit for all dives. The only thing that might change is the exposure suit and number of cylinders. Keeping everything the same meant I was familiar with the location of everything I carried, accessing it, and deploying it when necessary.
You don't try and fix what isn't broke.

Needed:
Redundant air supply - stage bottle (19cuft min for those depths but a 30 is better) or sidemount set up.

I’d add back-mounted doubles to this list as well.

Lance

take two sets of doubles Lance

next time I go diving I'll tow a tub of gear hanging from a float for all the stuff I can't carry, that I will never need

Main thing is to not do anything brave/foolish even though nobody's looking.

I thought it was the someone looking that sets these things in motion but there's always someone looking

I am looking, not at you, but at myself, a minute or two ahead, of where I am on the dive, and even further

take two sets of doubles Lance

next time I go diving I'll tow a tub of gear hanging from a float for all the stuff I can't carry, that I will never need
Isn't that what a dive boat is for?

Needed:
Redundant air supply - stage bottle (19cuft min for those depths but a 30 is better)
Technically this would be "bailout" as "stage" denotes the intention to breathe it as part of the planned dive. Yes, it is still called bailout even if your main gas source is not a rebreather.
or sidemount set up.
Side mount or back mount, but two tanks with separate regulators for sure.
Primary and two backup lights.
Only if it's night time or inside a cave or wreck or really deep and you need lights to see things or where you are going. The OP indicated 45 ft for 45 min in OW, solo, so there is no need for any lights. The solo diver does not need a light for signalling (himself?) and on a shallow OW dive would not need lights for navigating unless it was night or other low light situation. That said, I would not remove the 2 backup lights I always have on my harness (cuz why?) but would not take a primary if it were daytime.
Written checklist and dive plan.
What checklist would you take on a solo dive? Maybe at the surface, a pre-dive checklist, but that would be no different for a buddy dive. And written dive plan - who ever really does one of those, much less takes it on a solo dive. On a buddy dive, maybe this would have some value in communicating intent to the buddy, but a solo diver should not need to communicate to himself in writing about what he plans to do (or should not be solo if he does). Also, that would negate one of the best parts of diving solo - not having to confer with anyone about on the fly changes to the plan.
A frank discussion with your loved ones about what you are doing and that if something happens, your body may never be recovered. And if it is, unless right away, it's not going to be pretty.
Well, this could apply to any diving, but how many of us will ever have this conversation for real. For the most part this would be the end of diving or the end of marriage for most divers (i.e. the loved ones will put you on lockdown).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom