Glove weight: LA, SD, & Channel Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jahouck

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wondering if there is a strong opinion to either 3mm or 5mm gloves for SoCal diving or if it is pretty split.

I started off with 2mm gloves and this did not work out well.
I've gone thru about 4 pair of gloves since, different brands all 3mm.
3mm works well for me year round, but they only seem to last about 1-2 years.

My hands get cold. If it's warm and I expect less than 45-55 minutes for a beach dive, I'm OK with 3mm gloves. If it's cold outside, I know I'm going to have a long dive, or doing multiple dives, 5mm gloves make me much warmer. I tried dry gloves at this year's DUI demo day at Catalina and loved them, even though I felt like a complete spaz using them

San Diego diving, shores, kelp beds, Catalina, etc...

The entire family all 3 of us dive the Aqualung Kai 2mm.
Comfy & still very easy to use your hands for what they are intended for while down there & no added extra bulky protection, just functional.
Nobody is ever complaining of cold hands.

Aqualung 2mm Kai Glove

You all must have fat hands; I'd freeze locally in 3mm. :)

I almost always dive with dry gloves (with decently heavy / warm liners). For the few dives I do wet, I prefer 7mm gloves, but will occasionally use 5mm simply for increased dexterity. Ultimately, you have even better dexterity in dry gloves compared to even 3mm wet gloves, and you're so much warmer. If your hands are cold, your core gets cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom