Factory-fit vs aftermarket dry gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gerj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is getting a dry glove ring system factory fitted significantly better than buying them seperately and adding them to glued latex wrist seals?
I'm planning to purchase a new SEAL drysuit and it's available with glued latex seals, or Antares or Ultima dry gloves. I mostly dive the great lakes and dry gloves are necessary for me. I currently use viking roll-over cuffs on glued latex seals and I like them a lot, but they are bulky.
I really like being able to take the cuffs out when I travel somewhere warm with the suit and don't need dry gloves. Am I giving anything up by just adding a glove system to glued latex seals, apart from being able to field-replace the wrist seals? I'm not interested in diving dry gloves without wrist seals and I don't have strong opinions on latex vs silicone.

You can still use the Antares or Ultima dry glove ring systems without gloves. The replaceable wrist seals are held in place by the suit rings.
Yeah I get that, but I'd rather avoid the bulk of big stiff plastic rings on my wrists when I don't need them, unless there's a big reason to go with factory-fit rings.

Antares or Ultima systems (and Rolok 90, and 4th Element Elipse) work based on the Scitech QCS Ovals. The PU rings are glued to the suit, and and then either the default oval inner seal mounting ring, or the dryglove-specific adapter ring, holds the replaceable seals in place.

You can pop the dryglove adapter rings out and the orginal ovals seal-retainers in for something somewhat lower-profile. It is essentially the seal-replacement process.

I have the Ultima rings and have been happy with them. If starting from scratch, I'd probably go with the Rolok 90.
A set of the Antares came with one of my suits - I did not dive it, but I was not impressed playing with it, and replaced it with Ultimas.

Just be sure to get SEAL to put in the QCS Oval System and you can decide later if you want. It will be bulkier than glued in seals when diving without drygloves, but the ability to replace your wrist seals in moments and flexibility to choose and change dryglove systems is fabulous IMO.

Yeah I get that, but I'd rather avoid the bulk of big stiff plastic rings on my wrists when I don't need them, unless there's a big reason to go with factory-fit rings.
I also had this idea, but the reality is they're not that much bulk. The only time I ever feel hindered is when I'm going after lobster, and even then I'm not sure if I could reach the little bastard if I had another inch.

Being from ON how often do you get in water warm enough for wet gloves?

Idk, I wear my Rolock 90's on every dive. The rings are just there.

I also had this idea, but the reality is they're not that much bulk. The only time I ever feel hindered is when I'm going after lobster, and even then I'm not sure if I could reach the little bastard if I had another inch.

Being from ON how often do you get in water warm enough for wet gloves?

Idk, I wear my Rolock 90's on every dive. The rings are just there.
Never, I hate wet gloves! But I take a couple of weeks a year in Mexico for cave diving and the dives are getting too long for a wetsuit. I guess I'll try and find a demo suit with ultima or rolock rings and see how much they bother me. They do look smaller and lighter than the vikings I have now.

Never, I hate wet gloves! But I take a couple of weeks a year in Mexico for cave diving and the dives are getting too long for a wetsuit. I guess I'll try and find a demo suit with ultima or rolock rings and see how much they bother me. They do look smaller and lighter than the vikings I have now.
I'm not saying they never get in the way, but I don't notice them anymore either.

It would be great if someone out there would invent a very flexible easy to don ring system. I know DUI had the zip seals, but they're not easy on / off, the people I know just leave them on their suit.

Cough **kubi** cough
Not available on the suit he’s after.

As an aside @gerj, I’ll suggest two benefits of factory installed rings. 1) you can have slightly different sizes of wrist seals. The wrist size I prefer in Florida or Mexico is significantly smaller than what I use under a dry glove (2-3 rings). This allows increased circulation. 2) when you do switch to dry glove rings, there is a chance of misinstallation and leaks.

If most of your diving is barehanded and you use aftermarket rings a few times a year (AND you either self install new wrist seals or have somewhere close that can do it for you quickly), then go with standard seals and pick up a set of Kubi rings in the appropriate size. The Kubi 80mm work on my XL hands. If it is 50/50 or you are often in remote areas or can’t service seals yourself, go with a stock system. The QCS rings are smaller than the traditional Viking pullovers.

Back
Top Bottom