Telephoto ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best inexpensive version is the Nikon 300 f4. It retails for more than you are looking for. You might find one used for just a bit over your price point. By the way, no one makes sport for this lens.

Just curious, if you already have the 55-300, what's the need for another in this range?

For a couple hundred more dollars, get a good used 80-400VR f3.5-5.6. Kind of big and heavy, but versatile for things like whales, etc.

For a couple hundred more dollars, get a good used 80-400VR f3.5-5.6. Kind of big and heavy, but versatile for things like whales, etc.

What Larry said, except I don't consider it big or heavy (not compared to a 300 f/2.8, or worse, a 600 f/4). The 80-400 is my standard lens for walking in the woods.

For what it's worth, I've been using the 55-300 DX for kid's lacrosse and football, lots of movement and so end up with some really nice shots. The auto-focus is sometimes slow, and it's not great for night action, but otherwise, has been a good lens for the money.

Back
Top Bottom