New Diver, Free Airline Ticket, Thinking about Hawaii--Suggestions Welcome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markymarc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I won an airline ticket at a MLB game. I am East Coast and am considering the Caribbean (Cayman or St. Thomas) but I get my best value if I travel to Hawaii. Airline is United.

I just got OW certified so I have no real dives under me.

I would be traveling alone so it would be nice if the location had some social scene. I am 40 something.

1. Which island. Maui? I can use the ticket to Maui. Other islands I would have to check.

2. Is Maui or Hawaii in general for advanced divers only (e.g drift diving, etc). If not, any recommendations for a cool experience for a new OW diver.

3. Any other info would be appreciated.

I know Hawaii is far away but then again, this might a rare opportunity to get away and actually go visit there. It would be my first time to Hawaii.

Thanks!

Maui is definitely a destination for any level of diver. If you come in the winter, you can combine some amazing humpback whale watching (and underwater listening) with your diving. You can definitely find an operator that will meet your needs wherever you choose to stay. If you don't want to have to rent a car, you can even stay in the heart of Lahaina and dive with Lahaina Divers and be able to walk to your boat and a huge selection of bars and restaurants.

Hawaii has a full range of dives, but most dive ops provide trips for divers just like you... Vacation divers who do not need or want to press the envelope. You should have no problem booking a dive for your skill level. Maui or Kona would fit the requirements you list.

I am partial to Kona, I do live just north. There are more dive ops and more options. Plus we have the manta dive, even if we did get skunked last weekend, no mantas.

If I remember correctly, United has service to Kona via LA, Denver or Chicago.

Congratulations! Hawaii is an awesome desitination. I've dove Maui, kauai, and the Big Island and I have to say...the Big Island is my favorite. Maui is a close second though--and might be easier. The Big Island has great diving and really great dive shops. IMO the top shop (out of Kona) is Kona Dive Company. KDC was really great and they cater to a mix of divers. They did my boyfriend's discovery class...and I thought it was so well done (unlike most) that we're headed back in October to do his OW cert. There are several great shops in Maui too, but my reccomendation for a new diver would be Maui Dreams in Kihei--for boat and shore. The only downside to thier op is that they don't seem to dive as many sites. Dive shops are a matter of personal preference though and I'm certain other SBers would have other reccomendations. Remember to watch your elevation gain on both islands after you dive.

Maui has some very easy diving, both from boats and shore. There is also a very well developed land infrastructure for tourism, with excellent restaurants and bars and a wide range of lodging, as well as some interesting things to do on shore, like hiking Haleakala (or doing helicopter tours, if you prefer your scenery sedentary). Take a look at the Hawaii subforum here -- there are a LOT of threads about options for diving on Maui.

You might also consider Belize, diving from Ambergris Caye - flight will only get you to Belize City (not a place to stay and visit) it is just a short hop to Ambergris and the diving there is pretty good and appropriate for an OW diver. Not to take anything away from Hawaii, but the diving is better in Belize IMHO. Lots to do on the island and in the country and it is outside of your own country which may be a plus or a minus depending on what you are looking for. (Hawaii is a short easy trip for me and the culture is US which is similar enough to my own that I would prefer to go eslewhere YMMV)

Maui is definitely a destination for any level of diver. If you come in the winter, you can combine some amazing humpback whale watching (and underwater listening) with your diving. You can definitely find an operator that will meet your needs wherever you choose to stay. If you don't want to have to rent a car, you can even stay in the heart of Lahaina and dive with Lahaina Divers and be able to walk to your boat and a huge selection of bars and restaurants.

@DiveMaven. Is Winter defined as January on? Will I get to have a humpback swim by me while underwater?

Thanks for all the replies and information. I plan to do more research. It looks like I can fly to Maui or Kona.

Seeing humpbacks on scuba is rare, but not unknown. My husband and I were lucky enough to have that experience diving one of the pinnacles off Lanai. It was pretty amazing.

When we got back to the dive shop, the guy there was grumpy as all get out, and told us he had over 6000 dives on Maui, and had never seen a whale underwater. :)

+1 on Kona diving. I also have dove Kauai, Maui, and The Big Island. For my taste, the Big Island had the best diving overall. Coral in better shape, more life it seemed to me. and +1 on the Manta dive....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom