Wing selection with DR Transpac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mddolson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm new to sidemount diving.(only 20 sidemount dives).
I'm using a stripped down transpac, with rec wing right now.
But I don't like the rec wing. Teathers control the tacoing, but I'm considering a donut style wing to allow air crossover at the bottom of the wing.
I dive primarily dry, in the Lake Ontario & Kawarthas (Kingston, Peterborough) area.
I got hooked on sidemount on the trip to Tulum 2 years ago & am a sidemount convert.
I'm looking for recomendations.

Mike D

Hi Mike,

I, like you, started sidemount in Mexico and then went home to try to put something together. My setup was a Transpac w/ Classic Wing. It was a mess. Since then I have tried many (10+) different harnesses and have finally settled into one that I love.

There have been many changes in the sidemount world in the last couple of years and I think it may be wise for you to invest in a rig designed specifically for what you are doing.

I have been diving, teaching in, and selling, the XDEEP Stealth for about a year. My students and I put all 5 of my rigs through hell and they are still in perfect shape. This is hands down the best rig on the market today. Let me know if you want more info or one sent your way.

Let me know if you ever head back to Tulum, caves are better than ever :)

Frank

Frank,

Thanks for the recommendation. I've seen images & adverts for the Xdeep.
I like the look of the Razor as well.
I dove with a pair using Razor's in 2012, nice rig, worked well.
My concern is how well they work with our big & bulky cold water dry suits & (dry) gloves & cuffs.
Both the Razor & Xdeep seem depart from the Drawer Pulls on the butt plate.
Stuff is tucked in pretty tight.

Mike D

The best configuration for the Transpac when converting it to sidemount is the Trek wing,which I don't think they make anymore,but still can be purchased used. The Nomad wing was designed for the Transpac configuration,and you can get that wing separately (think I have a new one in a bag that I might consider selling). The absolute best wing was the Jr wing,but that was made in the late90s,and very rare.

I have just converted over to side-mount with my Transpac harness. Originally I had a "Rec ExP" donut wing fitted, but when I added the butt plate and rigged it for side-mount nothing sat quite right. The offset elbow for the inflator was below where the shoulder straps wanted to go, and the wing looked cramped and restricted by the rigging.

I went out and bought the Nomad XT wing as a separate part, and I have just finished rebuilding the harness and I have to say it fits well, feels comfortable, and the ring bungee system sits nicely. I haven't dived it yet - I will get it in a pool tomorrow night, but my first impressions are that it is very well built and very adjustable.

I also dive a DS and it fits well with that or over a wetsuit for warm water diving. The XT wing has up to 60 lbs lift, more than enough for heavy tanks and weight, but with the bungee you can cinch this in to keep it tight and neat if you don't need full lift capability.

One thing I like is that when put together you can still get to the loops on the back which hold the cam bands - so if like me sometimes you will want/have to back mount, then it is a matter of a couple of minutes work to thread some cam bands in and put a tank on the back. Then it will work perfectly as a standard back mount wing - just with a butt plate at the bottom.

Regards - P

Thanks Karstdvr & Phil_C for the input.
I'll have to do some looking at wings.
Phil good luck with your pool test. I've played with the ring bungie - chokers & don't like them.
I prefer the armadillo style, looped around the valve knob. but each to his own.
I like the flexibility you mentioned Phil, I presume I'd have similar capability with my transpac.

Karstdvr: can you elaborate a little with some details: Why IYO, are the Trek & Jr wings superior?

Mike D

Mike,

I spent about an hour of pool time last night (5 metre pool) - and the configuration worked great, the ring bungees were fine out of the water but did not hold the necks up as close/tight as I would have liked. I have a pair of the Dive Rite chokers, which I will try next time, together with fitting the ring bungees to a lower clip on the back to tighten them to see if that sorts it out. Otherwise I was very pleased. Buoyancy and trim was set straight off which was an unexpected bonus.

As for the flexibility, if you are fitting a wing to the Transpac which sits BETWEEN the backplate and the padded lumber cushion then I can't see why it would not be the same for you. My Rec Exp wing sat outside the backplate and was partly held on by the screw studs, but also held in place by the cam bands. This was fine when the tank was sat on top, but with side mount I found the Rec Exp wing wasn't held down enough. With the Nomad, the wing fixing sits under the backplate, so gets far more support in side mount. This also means the slots for cam bands are on top and available for you to just thread a cam band through for single tank diving.

I'm not sure how easily twins would go on, but in theory the mounting holes are still accessible so it should also be easy to put twins on or off as well with minimal changes.

I have rigged a pair of "travel" stage straps out of the cam bands from the Transpac, as I mostly use rental tanks, but this also means I will always have the two cam bands with me, and a couple of minutes work will separate them from the straps to give me the two bands back for threading through for mounting a single.

I'm just trying to see if I can sort a couple of dives out for after work next week in Cyprus, otherwise my first dives in anger will be Dry Suit dives the week after next in the UK.

Have fun - P

Greetings Mike D I dive a Trans Pac / Rec wing "Modular Nomad clone" as well.
I have bunged the wing extensively allowing the majority of inflation low in the wing.
Also I have a weight pouch sex bolted to the harness but no weight mostly a smooth back protector.
I rarely use my wing for bouncy only at the surface as I 99.9% of the time dive dry.
I have carried two Al 80 stage bottles without inflating my wing.
I have dove this rig for four years tried several others and own a Razor clone and Hollis SMS 100.
My choice is still the Trans Pac / Nomad with the bunged Rec wing passed on a Trek wing and been cussing ever since my bad!

CamG

I'm sorry, I've been away on work assignment for a few weeks.
I shall continue to adjust the bungies on my rec wing to see if I can't tune it in better.
Thank again for all the input.
The weight pouch you mention "CAMG"? Is that the DiveRight back weight pocket you're refering to?

Mike D

Yes it is.
It was a bit expensive but I like the protective nature of the pocket.
It took a few attempts to get the wing bungees just right.
Now that I am used to it I just keep diving it.
I have a SMS 100 but have not put enough time in it to get all the bugs out for me.

JCG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom