Snorkel/Free-diving and PREGNANCY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello there!

I work for a living as a underwater photographer for snorkel tours. I am, however, suspecting that I may be pregnant. Its still too early to tell thru home pregnancy tests.

I am concerned that I will not be able to do my job as long as I'd like to into the pregnancy.

The lowest depths that I usually freedive to are closer to 30 feet. But am usually averaged around 10-15 ft in the shallow snorkel spots.

My hypothetical question is, If a woman is pregnant, can she safely snorkel/free dive during pregnancy? If so, for how long into the term can this safely be done? AND any advice about the powerboat entry, or should i completely stay off of engine boats? Or how long it would be safe to actually hold breath? and at what depth of diving should be stayed at?

I love my job, and really dont have much else to fall back on for now. Thank goodness i wouldnt be a single mother, if this is the case. But i'd like to start gathering info now, so i can prepare, if it is the truth.

thank you!

That's a lot of questions ... Your best bet is probably having one of the Mods move your thread over to the "Diving Medicine"-forum, in order to get the answers you're looking for.

I agree with ARU about the thread move. But in short, my wife was just in the same situation and the doctors (two of them) told her that snorkeling was fine, even wonderful for stretching and releasing pressure on your back and hips. They unanimously agreed however that breath-holding of any kind was dangerous for the baby (who needs a constant supply of oxygen). I am not medically trained in any way, just repeating what our doctors told us. Hope this helps!

By the way, Congratulations!!

Now, on the subject of freediving limits, in both time and depth, there really aren't any specific parameters. Needless to say, the longer and deeper you go, the greater the risk of shallow water black or LMC. If you're serious in continuing this line of work, then look at this video. It explains the principles of a shallow water black out and LMC. Heed the words of an accomplished freediver. Also, look into taking a freediving course from an established freediving agency/school, such as Performance Freediving Inc. or Freediving Instructors International. Ted Harty from Immersion Freediving taught me how to equalize via Frenzel and has received numerous praise for the quality of his freediving courses.

As to your unborn child, I'm not sure if there is enough study in this field to accurately answer your question. You might want to contact DAN or ask other members in this field of work.

[video=vimeo;2060317]http://vimeo.com/2060317#[/video]

Back
Top Bottom