Versa Pro dive computer will not turn off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have Versa Pro dive computer that will not turn off. It will stay on until the battery runs out. I contacted the company, but was informed that they do not service those models any more. What can I do to fix this problem? Is there a way to reset the unit?

Last edited:
I was having this problem too but learned a couple of things. After you've rinsed your computer, blow on the ports and sensors to make sure they dry well and leave your computer out so that it dries well and completely before putting it away. (I store mine with my mask and have a neoprene mask strap cover that stays damp, so found that was not a good plan for my computer ss it stayed reading damp)

If making sure your computer is good and dry after dives doesn't work, take the battery out for a few minutes and then re-insert.

Please keep me apprised of how this works out for you. Best of luck.

This happens when I turn the computer on when it's dry, sitting in my office. The last dive that I used the computer was 5 years ago, so I think it's dry by now :) It started to do this last year when I decided to replace the battery and start using it again. I put a new battery in, and a few days later it was dead. So I put another one in and noticed that the unit will not turn off.

I was having this problem too but learned a couple of things. After you've rinsed your computer, blow on the ports and sensors to make sure they dry well and leave your computer out so that it dries well and completely before putting it away. (I store mine with my mask and have a neoprene mask strap cover that stays damp, so found that was not a good plan for my computer ss it stayed reading damp)

If making sure your computer is good and dry after dives doesn't work, take the battery out for a few minutes and then re-insert.

Please keep me apprised of how this works out for you. Best of luck.

---------- Post added October 30th, 2013 at 06:23 PM ----------

Unfortunately, after this problem with the computer, and the lack of tech support from the company for the versa pro, I don't think I will buy oceanic again. I have a sunto computer which I've used for over 15 years and it still works great. I might get another sunto to replace the versa pro, if I can't repair the problem.

If you really like your VersaPro, I've got one in perfect working order (with a downloader!) that I'm not using anymore, that I'd be happy to sell to you!
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...67742-dive-computers-download-interfaces.html

LOL, OK then ya, dampness is not the problem. :)

The problem is you've been playing with it in the office every few years instead of diving it!! Jk

I was wondering, do you know how to reset the unit? Other than removing the battery and replacing it. I've removed it for a year!!! and then reinstalled it and still the same thing.

LOL, OK then ya, dampness is not the problem. :)

The problem is you've been playing with it in the office every few years instead of diving it!! Jk

In a world of throw away electronics this problem isn't going to go away. There is an article in this months Undercurrent that discusses this issue. Unfortunately most of the computer manufacturers and retailers have the same basic answer, sorry we don't support that model anymore. According to the article there is little difference with any of them. It does seem to indicate that Atomic and Oceanic are a bit better than others with mixed reviews on Scubapro. Suunto seems to be one that doesn't do much with their less expensive computers. Sad but true, the article says the lifetime warranty of the past is long gone.

Note: I am sure somebody has had a great experience with a computer from _________. I do not mean to lump them all in the same group but it appears the majority of manufacturers are going down the same path.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom