G16 Fiber Optic Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep Water Dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Will my Sea & Sea YS-110a strobes work in TTL with the fiber optic housing for the Canon G16? Along those same lines, why won't they work with the TTL housing if I have the proper sync cords?

Thanks!

Hi;

Not sure about TTL. The YS-110as were a bit spastic with some cameras. They are no longer listed on S&S compatibility chart, but the YS-01 is listed as "possible" with the G12. The YS-01's TTL is pretty similar and it seems to work ok with most G15s, but not in manual, as Canon compacts turn off TTL while in manual as they figure you want _manual_ for everything.

They don't work in TTL electrically with any camera. The D-TTL is only available in optical sync mode.

Will my Sea & Sea YS-110a strobes work in TTL with the fiber optic housing for the Canon G16? Along those same lines, why won't they work with the TTL housing if I have the proper sync cords?

Thanks!

Deep Water Dan,

The answer to your first question is no. In order for true TTL firing to occur, the camera must be hardwired to an Ikelite strobe through a compatible electronics interface contained in Ikelite TTL housings. There is no bulkhead to connect to on the fiber optic housing so there is no way to connect your sync cords.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Brett - But on the fiber optic housing there are fiber optic connectors. TTL worked with fiber optic cables on my Sea & Sea housing, and Nauticam says it works with theirs. I'm a tad confused.

G16 will work with TTL on YS-01 & YS-D1 (I don't know for YS-110a) via fiber optic in most modes (P, Av, Tv, Auto, Scene), except manual mode because camera flash will work in manual too (users must adjust flash power by themselves).

You can use G16 with YS-110a on land to determine that both can work with TTL properly.

Brett - But on the fiber optic housing there are fiber optic connectors. TTL worked with fiber optic cables on my Sea & Sea housing, and Nauticam says it works with theirs. I'm a tad confused.

Dan,

We haven't tested the YS-110 with our housing yet, but if it worked on the Sea and Sea housing, it should work with ours. You can test this on land.

I was responding to true TTL firing. Fiber Optic firing is really emulated TTL.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom