Diving Iceland in Feb.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jandee

Contributor
Reaction score
Waterford,Wi, about 25 miles from the Milwaukee Ha
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm super excited about having the opportunity to dive the split between the 2 tectonic plates in Iceland in Feb. I've read that the water temp is 35 degrees which shouldn't be much worse then Lake Michigan in March/April or ice diving inland Wisconsin Lakes.(37 degrees). I'm wondering what to expect. I'm taking my own drysuit and dry gloves. I may take my own BCD. I have a Sherwood Blizzard and free flowing has not been a problem. Do they use DINN connectors? I'm wondering about depth, viz, entry into the water. I will have only one day to dive because the rest of the trip is more touristy. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for Santa. Just wondering what other divers have experienced.

Be sure to post a review. I have been wanting to do that dive for a while now.

Diver magazine (UK) July 2012 had an aticle about diving Iceland. You might find it in a digital issue if interested
Divernet - Diver Magazine Online | SCUBA | Diving | Dive Shows | Gear Tests | Travel | News - Divernet

Also in X-Ray magazine
http://www.xray-mag.com/pdfs/articles/UniqueDive_Thingvellir_24.pdf

I thought I read an Iceland article real recently too (this year) in Diver (UK) or Scuba Diving (UK) but after digging through my magazine box I still haven't found it. Both have digital back isuues so maybe you can find it.

I did the Silfra dive in March last year with Dive.IS.
Very slick operation.
I did not have my dry suit card at that stage (pool session done, but adverse weather resulkted i9n cancellation of planned open water dives).
Dive.IS requirement was for open water only. No requirement for dry suit experience - guidance is to use BCD to control boyancy during the dive if not dry suit experienced.
I had my own mask and computer - everything else was rental. Included under suit to wear over base layers of clothing.
Entry was down steel grating steps with hand-rail into water. Closely superviised by Dive.IS staff to ensure all seals OK and everything in place.
Dive was superb experience. Geological rather than fauna or flora.
Snowing when we surfaced - whole new experience for me.
Quite a long walk back to where the vans were parked for the surface interval.
Had to brush settling snow of the tank/BCD before kitting up for the second dive - which was a variation of the first.

Keep safe and enjoy.

I did the Silfra dive in March last year with Dive.IS.
Very slick operation.
I did not have my dry suit card at that stage (pool session done, but adverse weather resulkted i9n cancellation of planned open water dives).
Dive.IS requirement was for open water only. No requirement for dry suit experience - guidance is to use BCD to control boyancy during the dive if not dry suit experienced.
I had my own mask and computer - everything else was rental. Included under suit to wear over base layers of clothing.
Entry was down steel grating steps with hand-rail into water. Closely superviised by Dive.IS staff to ensure all seals OK and everything in place.
Dive was superb experience. Geological rather than fauna or flora.
Snowing when we surfaced - whole new experience for me.
Quite a long walk back to where the vans were parked for the surface interval.
Had to brush settling snow of the tank/BCD before kitting up for the second dive - which was a variation of the first.

Keep safe and enjoy.

Right.... so you hired a dry suit, having no experience to do a dive....

Did that a fortnight ago. Great dive, albeit exorbitantly expensive. But it's because of Icelandic tax policy. Water temperature was 3*C/37*F, the air was below freezing point. The dive is relaxing, following a slow current. The distance you go is not very long. It is permitted to dive down to 18m, not entering overhead situations, but the average depth is about 5m. Thus you do not really need a 15L tank, 12L is more than enough. Especially because you have to carry it a long way back.

Generally the dive consists of two parts: 1) the actual rift between the plates of America and Eurasia; 2) so called Lagoon which is a shallow pond with nothing else to see than amazing visibility and colors. I would recommend to spend more time in the first part as the rift is much more spectacular. In several places the rift is blocked by fallen rocks and you have to go up and down to get over them, but it is a good idea not to hurry and stay longer to explore deeper parts and to enjoy hovering between two dramatic walls in an invisible water. For the second dive you go back and repeat the first one. There is an option however, not to turn into the Lagoon but continue a drift along the river to another little lake. Not all divers want to do it, because it is more difficult to get out from the lake - the bottom is soft and muddy, no ladders. The way back is some 3x longer than from the first exit and you have to walk not on a smooth path but over a mossy lava field with hidden craks. I found this walk quite entertaining. You can go twice to bring back all your gear.

I can say only the best things about Dive.Is. Their rental equipment is superb - even Apeks XTX200 regs. Bare dry suits. Good fins, too. The guide took me back to the hotel not by the shortest way bat via more beautiful route and stopped for shots whenever I asked. He also took pictures and videos of me during the dive and gave me them free of charge. The dive site is really civilized - with toilets and tables for equipment in the parking area. As I said, it's a great dive. If this is your first time in Iceland and you want to take a tour, I would choose the Golden Circle as it takes you to the most important natural objects. Other excursions to my judgement might fill in to the first one.
Silfra 2013 (26).jpg Silfra es.jpg Silfra Lagoon.jpg Silfra pāreja.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished a Silfra dive with Scuba Iceland, took my own gear. Rented tanks and weights. Scuba Iceland picks you uP at your hotel, or will meet you at the dive site. Cold water like at home, only the viz and the amazing sapphire blue of the crack is beyond words.

I also dived in Akureyri, tried for the Strytan geothermal cones with Strtan Dive Centre, but the seas didn't cooperate, so did a dive on the wreck of the Standard in the Harbour. Erlandur the dive centre owner is very knowledgeable, highly recommend this operator.

I have been trying to put together a rebreather trip to Iceland for several years. Although I have had contact with a couple of locals interested in rebreathers, there is still no RB support to speak of. If any RB divers are interested in a future trip, send me a PM and I'll keep you on a list if it ever comes together.

Back
Top Bottom