How do I clean salt creep in dive torch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nixrsix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Like the title says, how do I clean salt creep inside my dive torches? I know vinegar works wonders, but what about inside the led part where I cant reach? There is salt creep inside the lense and I can't get to it because all of the electronics are attached to it. I have a couple of the UK C4 eled lights....

first thing is-wheres the water getting in?
There is a product called salt away thats pretty good for boats.

No idea where the water is getting in, I can't tell. Both lights still work though, so minor leak. Maybe its the o-ring...

There's a product, can't remember the name that you can get at a Radio Shack, that comes in a spray can and is specially formulated for cleaning residue on electronic parts w/o harming the circuitry or components....but your better off finding where the salt water is getting into the light.....I use UK eLED L1's for cave and night diving and water doesn't get into the 'heads'.....Try lubricating the 'O' rings w/silicone or Tribolube #71......Also take the 'heads' off after you dive and let them air dry.....Helps get rid of even small amounts of moisture........

Take it apart and then clean it. Simple.

BTW, in my experience the UK torches are never waterproof and they all will flood eventually, even with meticulous cleaning and o-ring maintenance. For the price, there are a dozen or more underwater torches from which to chose that are far more reliable and brighter than the UK brand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom