Old Skin Diver Magazines (1988)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lauren H.

New
Reaction score
Hello! I am wondering if anyone has old Skin Diver magazines, specifically from the year 1988. My mother, Linda Harris, was in one of the 1988 issues (I think it was a later 1988 issue - maybe fall or winter?) for competing to be first place National Women's Free Diving Champion of the USA along with her teammate Carol Maugh.

She (Linda Harris) also won first place National Women's Scuba Skills Champion in the USA with teammate Cathy Thompson in 1988.

I am looking for a copy of this magazine to give her for her birthday. The late eighties were my mother's prime years and I would love to be able to give her a piece of those years that is missing from her collection.

Thank you for your help!

I am very near your mother's age and have had a very close relationship with Skin Diver Magazine since its initial publication in December 1951. I was featured on the cover, was the first guest editor and wrote articles for SDM, the only person in the history of the magazine to have all three honors.

I have all issues from December 1951 to present bound in library bindings as well as 13 other now defunct dive magazines and most catalogs to about 1980. I also have a selected number of surplus issues ,some mint or pristine copies of these magazines that I maintain for trading/selling.

You indicate 1988 as the year, please advise as to approximate month in 1988, the title of the article, it's size etc and I will check my trading issues, and perhaps we can create a happy birthday for your dear mother.

SDM

Hi Sam! Thank you for the reply. I have been trying to find information on the approximate month in 1988 and the size of the article, but I have had little luck. All I know is that the competition occured in the summer of 1988, so the article itself would be in one of the fall issues; perhaps September, October, November or December. Is there an index in the back of each magazine with names/events featured?

My mother mentioned that the article was not very large. It was probably just a small blurp with one photograph. If it is possible to flip through some of the issues from the fall of 1988, that would be great. Her name is Linda Harris and her teammate is Carol Maugh. I will continue to look for more information about the magazine issue. Thanks so much for your help.

-Lauren

According to these sites:

http://www.nationals09.com/GLACD_all_low.pdf

U.S. Nationals Competition Results

it took place in 1987, not 1988

Host: Midwest Dive Council - Table Rock
Lake, MS
Men: Hawaii
John Ernst, Bill Ernst, Jon Bergren
Individual Men’s Champion: John Ernst
Women: Midwest Dive Council
Carole Maugh, Linda Harris
Individual Women’s Champion: Carole Maugh

Although it might not have been reported in Skin Diver until 1988, it's probably worth focusing on the 1987 issues.

Apparently my mom's memory is a little rusty! If it took place it 1987, it may be one of the later 1987 issues of Skin Diver. Thanks for the info.

---------- Post added November 21st, 2013 at 04:16 PM ----------

Hi again Sam,

knotical just posted below and informed me that the competition took place in 1987, not 1988. So it may be one of the later 1987 issues instead of the 1988 ones. I am fairly certain the competition took place in the summer time, so it would probably still be one of the later issues of the year.

Lauren,
I must apologize, I monitored this board for several days for your response but received nothing so assumed you had located the article. I do not monitor this board on a daily basis, today is probably the first time in a week that I have logged on, only to discover that your thread had been active in my absence.

I will check my spare 1987-1988 SDMs for the article. It can be some what time consuming checking page by page article by article and may tale a few days. I will advise you if I have a spare copy via this thread.

If you no longer need a copy please advise me ASAP - I have other things to do in my life other than turning pages in old SDMs.

Cheers from California

SDM

Hi Sam,

No worries. Her birthday is at the end of December, and I figured this search would take a while, hence my beginning the process over a month ahead of time. I understand.

And no, I have not located a copy of the magazine yet. I am hoping I would have luck finding it in your collection. If I don't, I will move on to other Internet sources. Are you aware of other scuba diving websites or forums that I can try? I am basically a stranger to the scuba world. This site has been my only hope thus far.

I know it can be time-consuming to flip through magazines. That's why I was wondering if there is any sort of index in the back of the magazines with names. Thank you so much for helping me! It takes a lot of kindness to help a stranger like this. I appreciate every minute of it.

If are able to locate it, please post the information or some of the text from the article here. The competition took place through the Midwest Dive Council on Table Rock Lake in Arkansas.

Best,
Lauren

Lauren,
Bad news and good news...

Bad news---I searched my spare SDMs - which are few in number for the years in question and none Skin Diver Magazine (SDM) with the article

Good news--- I have one of less than 20 complete sets of SDM remaining in the world. I will, as time allows these next few days review the 87 & 88 SDMs to attempt to discover the year and month of the article.

I will inform you of my findings, issue, and page. I can make a copy of the article, send it to you and you can take it to one of many print shops for enhancement and or enlargement, such as Office Max, Staples and believe it or not Costco.

Or with this information you can peruse e bay for a possible copy.

With your time constraints there is one other board you might want to post at this time which would be "Vintage double hose."

Almost 20 years ago I organized and conducted the first US bibliophile meeting in the US. At that time SDM was a very desirable historical collectors item and was being sold at a premium price. Most of the attendees at that historic meeting are now diving in the big reef in the sky and todays late model tube sucking bubble blowers have never heard or seen a copy of Skin Diver magazine.

SDM

Last edited:
Just a thought, have you looked in any local public libraries? A couple of phone calls should at least tell you if they have any issues from that period.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom