Fischer connection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyblackau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi I don't dive ccr and will be a long way off but out of curiosity can someone explain to me the benefit of using the Fischer connector. My understanding is it gives a real time report of what's the O2 sensors are reading, from there generates te deco obligations. Is this right? Would the computers without the connector just be guessing?

I am having a Fischer Connector installed on my Prism2. For my unit, It will be another secondary monitor for the Oxygen cells. I have the Primary HUD, the secondary Predator controller & soon a Petrel to hook up to it. The Petrel will have no controlling capabilities, but will just monitor & be another inline computer.

While a dive computer with a fischer connector does allow you to monitor your oxygen cells directly and this data will provide the dive computer with the capability to determine a decompression schedule, you should not depend on the dive computer to determine the schedule. This should all be planned before the dive and the dive plan should be followed accordingly. The dive computer should only serve as a backup/sanity check to the plan you already have before entering the water.

I have the ccr option on my nitek enabled and that has a p02 set point. No Fischer connector so how does this differ?

You can run a dive computer in CCR mode at a setpoint. You just need to make sure you keep your ppO2 within range of that setpoint. If you stray from it for very long then the decompression obligation on your computer will not be accurate. Either way, because you should be planning your dive before getting in the water you need to keep your ppO2 close to the setpoint you choose.

I have the ccr option on my nitek enabled and that has a p02 set point. No Fischer connector so how does this differ?

Just for an analogy: You have a tank of gas that should last you for one hour of diving at your normal breathing rate at 60 feet. Take that tank and go diving without a SPG. No problem, right? Just dive for an hour and then you're done. But what if a current develops and you end up swimming a little harder than normal? Or what if you dropped below 60 feet for a few minutes? Do you feel comfortable diving without having real time information?

Having a computer calculate deco based on a fixed setpoint is fine, as long as you stay close to that setpoint during the dive. But connecting the computer to the sensors in the rebreather so that it is reading the actual contents rather than the planned contents just gives more information for more accurate profiles. That connection can be a temporary one like a Fischer that can be disconnected so the computer can be used separately on OC dives, or it can be a permanently wired system. The Fischer is only the electronic connection. The difference between running fixed pO2 setpoint versus reading the actual loop is up to the diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom