New Shearwater Dive Modes.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pavao

Contributor
Reaction score
Let’s preface this by saying I’ve been diving Shearwater computers for over 13 years, and I don’t think there are better dive computers.

The new Perdix 2 has 3 new dive modes that makes me scratch my head, “Air mode”, “Nitrox single gas” and “Nitrox 3 gas”, this is the sort of thing we see on just about any dive computer manufacturer out there, I’d call these recreational “wanna be” technical dive computers, they’re just regular computers with 3 gas capability but sucks at decompression diving.

I thought the industry was done with this “Air mode” thing too, pretty much everyone just understood that leaving the mix at 21% is “Air mode”, but then here comes Shearwater with it.

This being present anywhere else I wouldn’t question it, but if Shearwater does it, makes me pause to think, have I not understood this whole thing? It’s like when they started supplying surgical tubing for straps for their computers, I understood bungee cord to be far superior than surgical tubing, but if shearwater was sending out their computers with surgical tubing, I went, woah, what do they know about them that I don’t? Why not supply the computers with bungee? I mean, it’s shearwater, they know what they’re doing, right? It’s not engineers with little dive experience producing subpar dive gear pushed to the market by the marteking department of a large corporation manufacturer.
But it isn’t, bungee is far superior than surgical tubing.

So, to the dive modes, I’ve typed way more than I like too already, let me ask just the “Nitrox 3 gas” mode for now, I’m having a hard time understanding the real use of such a mode, it’s for recreational diving, aka, no deco. But let’s not be too strict, some recreational divers do go into deco, they call it “light deco” dives, or something like that. And that is deco done on back gas.
So, say such a diver now decided that the “light deco” they do warrants bringing a 2nd gas mix to accelerate the decompression, I mean, I get to this point in typing this and I’m already finding a hard time continuing and not describe a tech dive.
And the mode is designed to allow 3 gasses, in what agency/training are divers trained to use 3 gasses in which it doesn’t fall into the tech diving realm?
Even on the tech dive training, how many agencies/courses start students with 2 gas switches right at the entry level?
And what agency/training gives RECREATIONAL divers access to mixes higher than 40%? This question is also important when consider a dive requiring 3 gasses, which none are higher than 40% O2

So, please educate me and help me understand the real practical application of such a mode. In doing so, please provide an example dive with the depth, time and gases, that doesn’t fall into the tech diving category of course. And if managed to do so, please also contrast that with just using the “OC Tec” mode.

What’s next, future versions gonna lock divers out too?
IMG_0310.jpeg

So, please educate me and help me understand the real practical application of such a mode. In doing so, please provide an example dive with the depth, time and gases, that doesn’t fall into the tech diving category of course. And if managed to do so, please also contrast that with just using the “OC Tec” mode.

It is "Peregrine" mode. The Peregrine doesn't have Trimix support, and the Perdix and Petrel share firmware with the Peregrine.

It is "Peregrine" mode. The Peregrine doesn't have Trimix support, and the Perdix and Petrel share firmware with the Peregrine.
No, those modes are on the Perdix 2.
But even if it was a Peregrine only thing, the question would remain the same

No, those modes are on the Perdix 2.
But even if it was a Peregrine only thing, the question would remain the same

I mean that mode was created for the Peregrine, but the other computers get it because they share the same firmware. And they specify that it is for AN/DP level technical dives. Though you can also use it as a back up at the normoxic level just by entering the oxygen fraction.

I mean that mode was created for the Peregrine, but the other computers get it because they share the same firmware. And they specify that it is for AN/DP level technical dives. Though you can also use it as a back up at the normoxic level just by entering the oxygen fraction.
Oh, I see what you meant now.
But still, does not change the question.
Where are they specifying it is for AN/DP level technical dives? Which btw, is technical diving, not recreational diving, and AN/DP is a single gas switch, only 1 deco gas anyway.
IMG_0311.jpeg

The three gas option is a nice option as I program them for 21%, 32%, and 36%. Once I splashed but forgot that on the later dive I was using air and not 32%. So just switched on the fly.

Oh, I see what you meant now.
But still, does not change the question.
Where are they specifying it is for AN/DP level technical dives? Which btw, is technical diving, not recreational diving, and AN/DP is a single gas switch, only 1 deco gas anyway.

You are going based on marketing, how something is marketed isn't always consistent. SRI wants technical divers to buy the more expensive computers, so they don't play up technical diving capabilities of the Peregrine.

Let’s preface this by saying I’ve been diving Shearwater computers for over 13 years, and I don’t think there are better dive computers.

The new Perdix 2 has 3 new dive modes that makes me scratch my head, “Air mode”, “Nitrox single gas” and “Nitrox 3 gas”, this is the sort of thing we see on just about any dive computer manufacturer out there, I’d call these recreational “wanna be” technical dive computers, they’re just regular computers with 3 gas capability but sucks at decompression diving.

I thought the industry was done with this “Air mode” thing too, pretty much everyone just understood that leaving the mix at 21% is “Air mode”, but then here comes Shearwater with it.

This being present anywhere else I wouldn’t question it, but if Shearwater does it, makes me pause to think, have I not understood this whole thing? It’s like when they started supplying surgical tubing for straps for their computers, I understood bungee cord to be far superior than surgical tubing, but if shearwater was sending out their computers with surgical tubing, I went, woah, what do they know about them that I don’t? Why not supply the computers with bungee? I mean, it’s shearwater, they know what they’re doing, right? It’s not engineers with little dive experience producing subpar dive gear pushed to the market by the marteking department of a large corporation manufacturer.
But it isn’t, bungee is far superior than surgical tubing.

So, to the dive modes, I’ve typed way more than I like too already, let me ask just the “Nitrox 3 gas” mode for now, I’m having a hard time understanding the real use of such a mode, it’s for recreational diving, aka, no deco. But let’s not be too strict, some recreational divers do go into deco, they call it “light deco” dives, or something like that. And that is deco done on back gas.
So, say such a diver now decided that the “light deco” they do warrants bringing a 2nd gas mix to accelerate the decompression, I mean, I get to this point in typing this and I’m already finding a hard time continuing and not describe a tech dive.
And the mode is designed to allow 3 gasses, in what agency/training are divers trained to use 3 gasses in which it doesn’t fall into the tech diving realm?
Even on the tech dive training, how many agencies/courses start students with 2 gas switches right at the entry level?
And what agency/training gives RECREATIONAL divers access to mixes higher than 40%? This question is also important when consider a dive requiring 3 gasses, which none are higher than 40% O2

View attachment 816727

I would fully agree!! I do ALL my diving in 2 modes only from single tank 21% diving to 8-10 gas trimix rebreather diving. OC Tec or CC/BO plain and simple, KISS no clue WTF you would use all the other ones for.

I am a long time shearwater user, way be for everyone and there mom decided they needed a Teric or Perdix for there 1-2 times a year dive trip to Mexico do dive singe tank 32% but they feel they need a multi gas decompression computer. I saw these new modes come out and I really don't know why they exist. I honestly have no clue why you would need all these strange modes. Should just be like it originally was, Rec, Tec, and CC i don't know why they have over complicated it. KISS

You are either diving recreational or you are diving technical and if that's the case Tec mode does everything. Especially this strange 3 gas mode????? What is that for???

Really there should just be 2 modes only. OC Tec or CC/BO if your on a rebreather CC/BO mode if your on OC then dive OC Tec. This is how I dive all my Shearwater platforms. KISS And so people don't freak out and think ohhhhh "tec" just call it OC. Plain and simple OC mode. It does everything you want and is way less confusing. If you diving single tank 21% you plug in 1 gas with 21%. If you diving nitrox you plug in your mix, if you diving some strange 3 nitrox mix dive then ok plug in your 3 nitrox mixes. and if your diving proper deep OC trimix then you plug in your trimix and deco gas.

Its not rocket science

Haha would not surprise me if in the next couple years you see:

Adv. Rec mode
Deep Rec mode
Extreme Rec mode
Light Deco mode
Adv. Deco Mode
I'm a bada$$ deco mode
4 gas mode
5 gas mode
.... gas mode
Normoxic Trimix mode
Hypoxic Trimix mode
Hyperoxic Trimix mode
Heliox mode
Trimix Nitrox mode

Think about how great of a marketing ad that would be and how many more computers they could sell. I can just see it at the next DEMA show: "New for 2024 the first in the world to offer a dedicated Heliox mode" or think about how many diver would fall for an "adv. rec mode" or "light deco mode"

Where are they specifying it is for AN/DP level technical dives?
Right in the screenshot of the manual in your OP: "Designed for introductory technical diving activities including diving involving planned decompression."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom