Bay Islands trip - change of plan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had originally planned to arrange a dive trip to the Bay Islands in March-April to see the Whale Sharks and other diving. But due to personal circumstances I have had to change that plan and am now looking at September-October.

Can people tell me what the climate and dive conditions will be like in September-October both in general and specifically for whale sharks?

In terms of weather, September would be your best bet. The rainy season starts in October. I have been there on more than one occasion when the weather was really dismal in October. Other than the risk of "named storms", September is probably one of the best times to dive Roatan. The water temps. will be at their warmest.

As for whale shark sightings...I can't be of help. Whenever you decide to go, hope you have a wonderful trip :D

september has been very good for whale shark sightings over the last few years. mostly around utila but this year there was several sightings around roatan as well. september is usually a great month for diving, the highest viz of the entire year and water temps around 85f. october is risky weather-wise.

We have found the same conditions as CajunDiva & laurenceh for September. One of the best months of the year, we had a charter the first week of September this year & their conditions were perfect. It's also not nearly as busy on Roatan at that time of year, you should be able to get great deals on dive & accommodations packages. When you're looking for dive resorts, ops, etc. don't forget to check Facebook, a lot of the resorts don't keep their webpages very current, especially the smaller ones, but they post to Facebook frequently & usually put their specials on there.

specifically for whale sharks?

If you're hinging some of your trips satisfaction on whale shark sightings I would caution you. It's so hit and miss (mostly miss) that I don't even think about whale sharks in Roatan any more than I would think about seeing them in Florida. They really aren't even on the radar for a Roatan trip.

If you're hinging some of your trips satisfaction on whale shark sightings I would caution you. It's so hit and miss (mostly miss) that I don't even think about whale sharks in Roatan any more than I would think about seeing them in Florida. They really aren't even on the radar for a Roatan trip.
Thanks. As for the Roatan part of the trip, I am keeping an open mind and I know that seeing Whale sharks there is a rarity. But I also plan to spend a week in Utila, which is where I was hoping to see them.

Ah, I see. That makes sense!

If you ever want to see them for sure, get to Mexico, Cancun or Isla Mujeres in the summer between July and Sept, you will likely see 100 or more and be swimming with them. One of the largest agregations of whale sharks takes place there every summer.

Back
Top Bottom