Eyes, don't fail me now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LostPatriot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All,

I'm looking for reviews / recommendations from from those that are using some type of eye insert (not a prescription lens) to accommodate for weaker eyes as one ages.I.E reading glasses for underwater. I prefer single lens masks, and currently dive a (Hollis). I've been considering SeeDive inserts, but it seems that if a mask floods, so goes the lens insert. And gluing a lens to the inside of my mask seems that it would become problematic over time when cleaning.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Rob

Hello All,

I'm looking for reviews / recommendations from from those that are using some type of eye insert (not a prescription lens) to accommodate for weaker eyes as one ages.I.E reading glasses for underwater. I prefer single lens masks, and currently dive a (Hollis). I've been considering SeeDive inserts, but it seems that if a mask floods, so goes the lens insert. And gluing a lens to the inside of my mask seems that it would become problematic over time when cleaning.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Rob

I have reading lenses glued inside my mask. They are no more problem than a regular mask. I.e., I need a toothbrush to clean where the lens meets the mask, and cleaning the edge of the readers isn't a problem.

not single lens, but Mag4 do a mask with +1.75 reading inserts in them.

maybe some-one brighter than me can find a link.

not single lens, but Mag4 do a mask with +1.75 reading inserts in them.

maybe some-one brighter than me can find a link.

The Mag4's do not seem to be made by Sherwood anymore; the current version is here.

Your eyes are not weaker. We tend to become increasingly farsighted past 40, because the lenses in each eye become less flexible. Positive diopter lenses can be permanently attached to the bottom of mask lenses. The amount of correction, from about +0.5 out to +4 or even more depends on how farsighted your are. Their primary purpose is to make it possible to read gauges or focus on anything up close. lookingthrough them makes anything further away than a foot or two completely blurry. Masks with the bottom inserts function exactly like bifocals. People who are both nearsighted, farsighted and astigmatic can have mask lenses custom ground.

I'm an older diver (71) who is lucky enough to require no corrections at all because of naturally occurring monovision. One eye is farsighted, the other nearsighted. The brain automatically switches to the appropriate eye, so I have 20/20 vision at a distance, but can also focus to about 8 inches if I close one eye. Some people have monovision created surgically, but mine developed naturally.

I had lasik. Now I can't see great up close like I could when nearsighted. The mask "inserts" just got dislodged and were hard to see with anyway unless you closed one eye. I highlighted important stuff on my console so I could see enough to be 100% safe. Depends on how bad your eyes are I guess.

I had LASIK, too, but I still have some need for a reading lens. I used the inserts that somehow stuck on by suction at first, but they did come out. I got one of the glue-in ones instead about 9 years ago. I still use it. I cannot begin to estimate how many times I have used it since then, including all the pool sessions for instructional dives. It works fine, and I make no extra effort at cleaning or defogging.

Reactions: Jax
Yes I use a glue in type also, right now it's only one in my lower left mask lens. Works fine for reading the pressure gage and wrist computer. However as I am starting to do more and more photography I may have to put one in the right lens .

Also just for reference for a pressure gage , I got the HOG large 2.5 in. Black Face (luminescent markings and needle) specifically for night diving and found that even during the day , I could make out the needle in relation to the 1k ,2k and 3k PSI indication marks, and can actually read it within a hundred lbs. or so without the magnifier lens

I dive an Atomic Frameless (single lens) and had lenses put in by these guys: Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878 They have been in for 7 years and I can still see great with them. I like that I have a mask I love and fits well versus buying a certain mask just because you can get lenses for it. I will note that the stick on lenses did not stick well to my mask. No matter what I did they seemed to come off. Maybe it's because of the better glass in the Atomics. The nice thing is they will put them where you want them- mine are set in like readers so I can see gauges and a camera LCD, but they do not interfere with my normal long vision.

There are a couple mask brands that sell Rx lenses ( Mares is one ) for their masks....They usually come in sets but if you only want the 'reader' in one they'll probably do it.....Dive Optx, is another Co. that makes inserts........

Back
Top Bottom