Roatan Trip - Best for a single diver doing macro photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raul13

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for some ideas on who to dive with on Roatan - end of February / beginning of March. I'm a solo traveler. I have around 580 dives and have been through mostly the Eastern Caribbean.

I'm considering a place like Coco View. Any feedback on Coco View for a single diver is appreciated.

As far as diving - DM/guide in the water. A friendly DM/diver ratio. I enjoy macro photography and would like an operation that will not rush me through a dive. Any suggestion on which operation is a good fit for what I'm looking for ? I do take some wide angle pictures, but prefer the small stuff.

As far as where I stay - fairly priced. Safe ! A/C or fan. Wifi in the room. I leave my BC at home, and travel with just my reg, mask/fins. So, I would need to rent a BC. Wet suit ? I just went into my wetsuit here in Florida. I would love to leave it at home for the trip.

Any suggestion are appreciated !

Thank you
-r

Looking for some ideas on who to dive with on Roatan - end of February / beginning of March. I'm a solo traveler. I have around 580 dives and have been through mostly the Eastern Caribbean.

I'm considering a place like Coco View. Any feedback on Coco View for a single diver is appreciated.

As far as diving - DM/guide in the water. A friendly DM/diver ratio. I enjoy macro photography and would like an operation that will not rush me through a dive. Any suggestion on which operation is a good fit for what I'm looking for ? I do take some wide angle pictures, but prefer the small stuff.

As far as where I stay - fairly priced. Safe ! A/C or fan. Wifi in the room. I leave my BC at home, and travel with just my reg, mask/fins. So, I would need to rent a BC. Wet suit ? I just went into my wetsuit here in Florida. I would love to leave it at home for the trip.

Any suggestion are appreciated !

Thank you
-r

I didn't know if you were interested in traveling a little later in the year as ScubaBoard is having their annual Invasion in Roatan for 2014. Here's the details if your interested in joining us. There's just a few spots left.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sc...aboard-invasion-2014-roatan-package-deal.html
and here's the link for the main thread on the event
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sc...asion-central-2014-roatan-49.html#post6992964
Hope you can join us! :D

Last edited:
I stayed at CoCo View as a single traveler in Jan 2012, the place was great for a single traveler, and there is lots of macro to shoot right in their own front yard. 25 dives during the week can easily be done. Divers to divemaster ratio is average for the carribean, however they don't hound you and have a great eye for pointing stuff out. Just let them know what your wanting to photograph, and they will find it for you if its possible.

Thank you. I ll keep Roatan Scubaboard trip in mind if Feb/Mar doesn't work out for me.

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2014 at 04:51 PM ----------

Thank you the info. Glad to hear is a good place for a single diver and you had a good experience.

Interesting phraseology begs for an equal answer: There is no place like Coco View (not in the Caribbean, anyway) CoCoView Explained In Pictures Photos by Doc_Adelman | Photobucket (People often ask me what a good CCV comparison would be- We like Hotel Atlantis on Batangas Beach, Philippines and most any liveaboard... if that gives you a basis for my perspective) I've been diving with most any major dive-op on Roatan.

Solo divers are not uncommon. Macro photographers often are alone, no matter what their log-book says, but there will always be somebody you can hook up with.

Roatan can offer a very diverse environment that few people are aware of. CCV is on the South side, in the center of a four mile zone that is unique in the Caribbean. Sunlit walls all throughout the day, soft and hard Coral density and diversity are unparalleled. Vertical walls start in 5-15fsw and drop straight to a sand shelf at 90'. Macro critters like Sunlight, florid environments and shallows. Do the math.

North/West side dives (From West Bay to AKR and points East along the Northern shore) are, because of the u/w terrain, deeper and darker. Because of their proximity to the patrolled Marina Reserva, the critters there are more pelagics and larger examples. In that you specifically state MACRO, I understand that you have seen your share of Parrotfish, Barracuda, Lobster and whatever else is on the laminated ID card that everybody buys on their first day of warm-water-pretty-fish diving. Then, if you're lucky, you graduate!

Any number of divers never get past gawking at Sharks. I had a large group of British divers in the Bahamas, all with one thing on their minds (it's what they knew): Sharks. I slowed one of them down, offered him a look through my simple glass magnifying lens... I couldn't get it away from him the rest of the trip. At CCV, magnifying lenses are so common, it's almost odd to see a diver without one. Stan Waterman (the famous shooter) only comes to CCV when on Roatan. :hm: Same with all the published "Reef Guide" and Fish ID books... they dive with CCV exclusively. This is one of the last of the real Dive Resorts (not just a Resort that offers diving) left in the Caribbean, certainly the stand-out on Roatan in that regard.

Dives 1 & 3 are requested to be limited to 1hr BT's, the #2 & 4 dives are limited only by your abilities and SAC. We often do 1.75 hr BT's, poking along, very shallow, looking for macro.

The CCV DM's main responsibility is being a Naturalist Guide. They do not fake this by feeding animals. Stay close to the DM and be ready to shoot when he points and bangs his tank. Get your shot, allow others (who will be gathering at this point) to get theirs. If it's really cool, hang back and let the other shooters move on. But don't tarry too long, he has already found something new ahead.

Most cool stuff is above 60fsw. I do my 5 dives a day, on air. Think about that.

That step past Macro is NOT Macro Its MICRO Photos by Doc_Adelman | Photobucket

The night dive is every night. (not by appointment "once a week") You simply can not get lost if you listen to the briefing. It lasts from 4:30 pm until 9 am, no limits. Located 100 feet from your bed. Not a thrash in the surf, more of a swimming pool with a sandy walkway in. Superb for beginners and "Macro hogs", too.

So, as I said, good for beginners and also the advanced. Where the South side loses out in perception is from the large intermediate group of divers who have not yet understood the Naturalist advantages of perfecting buoyancy and close-in observational skills. Once you have it, you know, until then, there is no explaining it. Many divers reach that "A-Ha!" moment while at CCV. Magnifying glasses are often Step #1.

As far as where I stay - fairly priced. Safe ! A/C or fan. Wifi in the room. I leave my BC at home, and travel with just my reg, mask/fins. So, I would need to rent a BC. Wet suit ? ...

I never lock my door. Don't use the "safe". If you mean the other kind of "safe", yes- the resort is on it's own private island with armed security 24/7. Nobody there but guests and employees. No disco for the locals, nobody "just passing through", no horde of pod people from the cruise ship coming to pester Flipper, no day-spa for them, either. Very common to see laptops and cameras left on dining room tables for a day. There is A/C but rarely use it on the over the water rooms. WiFi is resort-wide but remember that it has to go through the mainland, so if people download movies (they need a life), it will get slow in the early evening hours. But, yes- in every room, they do have WiFi.

The dive shop (Dockside) has great rental gear. I have rented my gear a number of times, always looks clean and works perfectly. Renting a wetsuit is no problem unless you're an odd size. Always email Dockside Dive and reserve what you need. Rarely do they see many divers who need rental gear, but with maybe 17 complete sets, I guess they could run short if they had to supply gear in lieu of lost baggage. The water temps run 80-82 as a minimum (excluding post rain-storm) and can often run 84°+ along this shallow South side. I dive with a Polarfleece, sometimes at night, mostly just as a rash guard for potential jellies.

If you want 4+1 each day, if you came to dive, if you are to the level of wanting something more than your 15th Lobster, CCV is it. The big downside to CCV is getting a reservation- they stay booked pretty solid. Again- You do the math :wink:

Last edited:
Thank you. I do appreciate all the detail. I will keep it for future reference. All I have to do is nail down a week in late February / Early March to get away from work. Its getting cold in Ft. Lauderdale, I think the high was 70 today. I need some warm weather and water. Thanks again !

Its getting cold in Ft. Lauderdale, I think the high was 70 today. I need some warm weather and water. Thanks again !

My heart goes out to you.

Another opinion on CCV = in my experience it is really easy to connect with other divers as a solo traveler. I've been there with my teenage daughter during March 2012 and 2013. During the first trip she was doing her OW cert dives...during the 2nd trip she was a certified diver, but wasn't doing quite as many dives as I did. In both cases it was easy to find folks to dive with when she was in her class or chose to nap or sunbathe instead. Also easy to find folks to have meals with...CCV is buffet style for all meals. Although there can sometimes be large groups of folks from dive clubs/shops....pretty much everyone there is geeked out on diving/snorkeling/marine life.....so connecting with folks/joining people for meals is as easy as saying hello and pulling up a chair. You will also automatically have a group of "friends" from the boat you are assigned to for the week.

Rental gear - among the best I've seen. Daughter rented both years and all looked nearly new and very well cared for. Great on-site dive shop in case you need/forget anything. Definitely reserve in advance.

March water temps around 79-80 for our trips there. No thermalcline.

All in all = a great place for macro photogs and a great place to meet people who love diving and the underwater world. We love it so much we are going back for trip 3 this spring.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom