Where to go for a Divemaster internship in the Carribean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flesner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to do a divemaster internship this winter. I'm currently leaning towards Utila, but want to see if anyone has any specific suggestions, or somewhere else to suggest. Some of the things I'm looking for:

* I'm far more interested in being in a beautiful setting than having a party scene.
* I have a science background, and would love to incorporate some of that.
* It would be nice to have things like mountains around too (this is the main hesitation I have about Utila).
* I tend to ask a lot of technical questions, so I think having a variety of instructors could be good. Or maybe a place that also does TekRec would be a good choice.
* If I can also learn some boating skills, that would be an extra bonus.
* I'd love to find a place that has some other older divemaster interns. I'm 42.
* Available accommodation is actually pretty important. I don't need anything fancy, but I would like a room of my own fairly close to the water, that's fairly reasonably priced.
* It's unlikely I'm actually going to become a dive professional. I'm looking to spend a month or so in a beautiful place, learning new things, doing something I love.

I'm looking forward to some good suggestions! Thanks in advance.
icosm14.gif

Carolyn

What else falls into the category of "things like mountains" besides mountains? Are you planning on climbing them, or just don't want a flat landscape? Either way, I'd compromise on that instead of eliminating places that fit the bill otherwise. Pretty much everyplace is scenic in it's own way. Lots of Caribbean islands do have mountains (in some cases, pretty much are mountains) or at least large scenic hills. Though keep in mind on a larger island, mountains can mean rivers and runoff and not be good for the viz.

I say go with your intuition/research and choose Utila. As you know, Utila is the most often-mentioned Caribbean location where people, including the occasional 42 year-old, go to do DM internships. As far as "boating skills," as a DM intern you will get to handle ropes and learn a little about a DM's role on dive boats. Roatan is nearby if you need a change of pace. Heck, there are places on Roatan, too, that offer DM internships. I suspect Caribbean destinations that offer both significant natural beauty ("mountains") and dive internships might be a tradeoff. If such a place offered the best of both worlds, I suspect it would be no secret, and we all would have heard about it.

Mostly I think it would be nice to have a non-flat landscape, maybe somewhere to go hiking and get a bit of a view. I'm by no means eliminating places just because they don't have that! Just saying it would be a plus.

Those are some very unique DM course requirements. Mountain like things? Room close to water? Older DM candidates? No parties? Don't want to be a dive professional? It appears that you are seeking a journey full of self reflection and solitude more than Professional training. Since you are a person who feels guilty taking a vacation, you have to justify to yourself that you were in fact "working" or "learning." I read you post and thought ...

This is my own story.

Here is an advice ...

Crush the guilt that comes from self gratification and do something for yourself. Forget about "training" and "certifications" and find the most beautiful place you can go to and just dive for a month. Come back refreshed and ask yourself if you still want to be a DM. If yes then select a place that is known for serious, high quality instruction rather than scenery.

And 42 is not old btw.

Those are some very unique DM course requirements. Mountain like things? Room close to water? Older DM candidates? No parties? Don't want to be a dive professional? It appears that you are seeking a journey full of self reflection and solitude more than Professional training. Since you are a person who feels guilty taking a vacation, you have to justify to yourself that you were in fact "working" or "learning." I read you post and thought ...

This is my own story.

Here is an advice ...

Crush the guilt that comes from self gratification and do something for yourself. Forget about "training" and "certifications" and find the most beautiful place you can go to and just dive for a month. Come back refreshed and ask yourself if you still want to be a DM. If yes then select a place that is known for serious, high quality instruction rather than scenery.

And 42 is not old btw.

Whoa. That's very observant. I had totally missed this in the original post: "It's unlikely I'm actually going to become a dive professional. I'm looking to spend a month or so in a beautiful place, learning new things, doing something I love."

It does sound like you (the OP) are looking for a "learning vacation" rather than DM training. Take a vacation OR take DM training. A compromise "dive learning vacation" probably won't be as satisfying. That said, the life of a DM intern in a tropical place like Utila is still far from the grind back at the office (or university) in Boston.

Gee, guys, I'm feeling all defensive now! Really, I don't feel guilty about taking a vacation. Believe it or not, I actually find learning vacations far more satisfying than sitting around on the beach vacations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom