Repetitive Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigRedDiver1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all! This is a rather stupid question and I'm pretty sure I know the answer but just wanted to bounce this off of people. Here it is, I'm going on vacation to Grand Cayman and am doing 5 consecutive days of diving, alternating between morning/afternoon dives. I also want to do some kayaking/snorkeling off of the beach. I'm thinking I'm okay to do those activities as long as I stay properly hydrated, or would it be best to avoid these physical activities until after my days I'm diving?

Like I said I just wanted to bounce this all off somebody! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you'll be fine as long as you don't go nuts. a relaxing paddle is nothing to be concerned about a few hours after a dive.

you'll find that most divers will also snorkel between dives anyways.

edit:
note that I do say snorkel, not free dive. I won't enter into my personal opinion on the loading and real risk of DCI, but I am informing you. this is hotly debated among rec divers and dive operations.

some light reading for you

DAN Europe - Snorkeling and DCI

Thanks bracko!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a formal recommendation against heavy and/or strenuous physical activity after diving. More of a theoretical concern regarding possible DCI/AGE but notion is like shaking up a soda bottle and might potentially create gas bubble formations.

As long as your activities of kayaking and snorkel fall in the mild activity category you should be fine.

Plus I'm only 23 and am in decent shape, just trying to make the most out of this trip!

I've gone as long as 30 days diving 1 deep 140'ish,1 50-100',1 30' and still ran almost every day,kayaked etc..

Plus I'm only 23 and am in decent shape, just trying to make the most out of this trip!
You'll be fine, as long as you don't try to do a marathon or Ironman competition. Snorkeling, as someone else said, should be fine; though I'd avoid freediving out of an abundance of caution.

Enjoy your trip!

I figured I'd be okay! But I'm still going to not over exert myself! Only four days and a wake up!

I am an old fart. Last November did 9 days of scuba in a row with 3 dives each day.
My profile was 1st dive around 80-100', nice long SI, then 2nd dive 40-60', then a 3 hour break, 3rd dive shore dive with average depth around 20'.
I would kayak in the morning before the first dive one day, then the following day would do an early morning bike ride.
Both of these were at a leisurely pace. Early evenings were a 1 mile walk into town for dinner.
I make sure to drink lots of fluids all day.
If I can, I have a short siesta before happy hour.
Always try for a good nights sleep.

Back
Top Bottom