Dive Rite QRM Security Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteveT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Questions for those with a Dive Rite QRM light mount... do you use any other way to secure your light to yourself beyond the mount itself? Have you ever had the QRM release unintended? If you release your light from the mount to change hands or clip off, do you secure it any way while holding?

My LX20+ came with a bungee loop on the back which I assume is a wrist lanyard but I'm thinking I'd like a bolt snap and maybe a longer wrist loop to wear while it's in the mount and while it's out and I'm handling. Maybe the wrist loop is solving a non-issue? It's a sweet light that I don't want to lose!

If it has the little lever to lock it, its pretty foolproof
Bolt snap on the tail for when you need the hand space.

There's an hp50 on one of the 300ft wrecks in lake michigain because I didnt have the little lock lever on the qrm. I could tell there was 150ft of vis as I could see the light on the bottom at my first deco stop...

I remove the entire handle (hard or soft glove) rather than remove the light itself from the QRM. That's non-trivial for the soft glove, so I tended to not do that often (basically start & end of the dive). Consequently, I wore the glove on my right hand since the left was frequently busy with buoyancy adjustments. Some care was needed during reel operations, gas switches, or s-drills to control the spot, but it was fine after a bit of practice. (I currently use a hard/normal Goodman handle.)

Regardless, there's no "tether". If I remove then fumble it over an abyss, it's gone. I have a small boltsnap on the rear for stowage, attached fairly tight to the base with thin bungee. My intent is to put another loop positioned so it will shine more forward (when horizontal) rather than down when clipped off.

I remove the entire handle (hard or soft glove) rather than remove the light itself from the QRM.

Back when I used my HP50 with the soft glove I simply couldn't remove the light from the QRM. Now with my EX35 and hard handle I never even attempt to remove it.

But to answer the question, I've been using my EX35 for three years now, it has never come off.

There's an hp50 on one of the 300ft wrecks in lake michigain because I didnt have the little lock lever on the qrm. I could tell there was 150ft of vis as I could see the light on the bottom at my first deco stop...
R I P in peace but we should probably go get it

I orient the moving latch bar so it's in the front. That way if you forget to lock the tab, the light won't come off if you bump something.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

In summary… light is secure in the QRM with the locking lever closed, no wrist strap needed, add bolt snap to clip off (which I’m used to). I do have the moving bar in the front as the instructions show, I carry on the left so I flipped it around as shown.

I use a leash strap for temporary securing stuff that I unclip from harness or pockets: it also works well for torches, double enders etc.

Got the wrist strap/leash from AliExpress

Attachments

• 20240217_100251.jpg
    20240217_100251.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240217_095957.jpg
    20240217_095957.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 38
All of Dive Rite’s promotional photos show the locking lever set up “upside down” which gives less utility than if the lever is facing you, as it is impossible to see the lever if it is not facing you. It is also more difficult to find the lever if it is not facing you, and you must then do it by "feel." I don't like to make setups harder, I like them easier.

While the strong, thick red band with my pastor’s misspelling is unnecessary (actually, both the band and the misspelling are unnecessary), if you are risk-averse, simply wear such a band for redundant retention. Photos depict my wrist at full extension up and down, and I cannot feel any pressure at all related to the band and the bolt snap; my hand and wrist are both in a natural state and very comfortable. The last photo depicts a total failure of the QRM along with arm hanging nearly straight down, and what would happen – the band cannot escape my wrist, and neither can the light.

Attachments

• Hand normal.jpg
    Hand normal.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Hand full extension down.jpg
    Hand full extension down.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Hand full extension up.jpg
    Hand full extension up.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 29
  • QRM supposed failure showing redundant retention.jpg
    QRM supposed failure showing redundant retention.jpg