Best sites in Australia in March? Sharks, whales, formations, shipwrecks... anything

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidil

Registered
Reaction score
Yo,

I'm in Australia at the moment and I'm looking to do some serious diving in the 2nd part of March. Budget isn't an issue, I'm willing to fly between sites as I'm sure on time and came over here all the way from Europe.

What are the most interesting / impressive dives that I can do around here? Sharks, whales, big schools, formations, shipwrecks... I'm interested in anything and everything. Would appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you!

Cage diving for great whites in Port Lincoln and Weedy sea dragons around adelaide is worth a look.
Yongala off Ayre
Whale sharks off exmouth Western Australia
Navy Pier off Exmouth
Jervis Bay for big grey nurse and possibly seals if you don't see them in Port Lincoln
Lord Howe Island (romantic quiet place to get away as well)
Liveaboard from Cairns up north to osprey reef + cod hole

as a top of my head rough as guts price to do all those things it'll cost you about $20,000USD including all the accommodation, flights, diving, car hire (where needed) and diving tour costs.

is that budget no issue enough?

I live in Western Australia. There is some good diving off charter boats around Rottnest Island near Perth. My preferred dive sites are the open caves lined with soft and hard corals and sponges.

There is good diving all along the south west and southern coast wherever you find good reef and structure. March is within the prime time for diving this region. Unfortunately most of these sites do not have dive charters and to access them you need to beach launch a private boat. Weather is a limiting factor in many of these locations.

For wrecks you can dive the HMAS Swan near Dunsborough and HMAS Perth in Albany.

March is not an ideal time for diving in the Northwest as it is in the wet season and the run off tends to mess up the visibility.

We've got a few sharks including white pointers in the south west. You rarely see. Then again it is probably best you don't. :shocked2: Thankfully we have no cage diving in the state.

March is not the season for whale watching.

Ningaloo/Exmouth diving is pretty good most of the year. Second the Yongala, also like Osprey reef and Ribbon Reef FNQ. Not sure of the seasonal issues but I really liked Montebello Islands.

If you are into cold water luv I hear there are some good kelp dives around tasmania. Lady Musgrove Island is looking very nice.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

---------- Post added February 28th, 2014 at 12:16 AM ----------

is that budget no issue enough?

I'm going to the North Pole in April, that's 30,000 Euro for ten days ;-)

Thanks again

fantastic! also kelp forests in Tasmania. I think you then hit every state with a shore except Northern Territory

I'm booking a 3 night Fly Dive Cod Hole with Mike Ball. :) I'll also do Yongala and the Shark cage at Port Linc.

THANK YOU!

if money is no object do the 7 day trip, that way you also get to out to osprey reef which has amazing viz and 1000m drop offs.

been on the mike ball trip couple of times... nice choice! best dive site: Steves Bommie you will love it!

Back
Top Bottom