What shark is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karolis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone, I'm new here and don't really know my way around the board yet. Hope it's ok that I created a new thread ( didn't know where to post this) Anyway, this is my tattoo I had it for 10 years or so, and I love it! The problem is that I don't know what shark is that, is it even a real species or is it just artistic sketch of a shark that doesn't exist? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
2487_66739030126_767131_n.jpg

It's hard to say for sure. Looking at the tail, I'd say possibly a thresher shark.

Interesting.. my guess was a blue shark, but looking at the pictures thresher seems much closer to it. Thanks!

The dorsal fin is way too far forward for thresher, or just about any shark. I'd say artist's concept.

Looks like an ink shark to me... other than that it's not particularly accurate to any species I can tell.

Agreed, it is an artist's rendering. For instance, the first thing I looked for was the number of gill slits. There are four. No shark has that few. Five to seven, with five being most common.

Looks like a Spiney Dog to me ,a real pain in the ass to us east coast fishermen, except for the dorsal that looks like the one on the shark from the Movie "Jaws". Another drunken mistake in life I take it.:D What did your momma say ? I ll bet she was proud Eh :no:.

Back
Top Bottom