Wetsuit storage -- hanging or folded?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricky B

Contributor
Reaction score
Now that I have a new wetsuit, I'd like opinions on storing it once it's been rinsed and dried. I know that shops display their wetsuits on a hanger and sell hangers too for divers to hang up their wetsuits, but I read somewhere that hanging will stretch out the suit and the suit should be folded once or twice and put on a shelf.

It seems to me that if it's OK to hang a wet wetsuit, it ought to be OK to hang up a dry one since it will be much lighter in weight once dry. But lot's of things seem OK until you find out otherwise. So is folding the dried-out wetsuit and putting it on a shelf a crackpot idea or valid?

What hangers can you recommend? Anything in particular to look for in a hanger besides sturdy and wide shoulder bars?

Some seem to have claws coming out of them. What are those for?

always have mine hangin gwhen not in use. But it all depends on how much space you have. you have to do what works best for you. But I wouldn't fold a wetsuit and leave it for long periods of time like that. It will crease where you fold it and it will stay there. I'd worry about that a whole lot more than a suit stretching out. It's not like it's that heavy once it dries.
I usually keep mine inside out, mainly coz that's how I dry it. Try not to dry in direct sunlight, but if you do ...make sure it's inside out. most of the wetsuit hangers are about the same, but some are a little short in the shoulder area. So try and find one that will go out as much as possible. Don't think I've seen any with claws.
But the best thing is .......don't store it, use it! :)

Dry wetsuit!??? Not familiar with the concept. Hanover should be 3 inches wide. Narrow 1 inch wide hangers will deform the suit. Keep suit away from sunlight, ozone (car exhaust, water heaters, and I have heard but don't know for sure that you should also avoid electric motors etc).

Melvin Pasley
NAUI Instructor 50764
Handicapped SCUBA Association International Instructor 3017

Never fold a wetsuit unless you want to destroy its thermal properties via creases. Even when travelling, I always roll the wetsuit up in clothing or towels that I take with me to prevent the formation of creases whilst in a suitcase.

The best hanger is a home made job. Purchase some of those cheap wooden hangers with a small stiffener dowel nailed to the underside. Remove the dowel and cut it in half. Purchase some 3" flotation pool spagetti which has a 3/4" hole down the middle from Toys R Us and cut 6" pieces and shove them on each arm of the hanger using the dowel as an extra packer........best wetsuit hanger money can't buy. :D

Depends on the garment. My heavy ones hang. Thin fleece and underarmor base layers rolled loosely in their own drawer.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Once wife washes & drys ours, I fold them(neatly) & put them in a dive bag........Right or wrong, it's the way I've done it for 30 years.......

I hang all mine (and wife's). I use those standard UK suit hangers , or the BARE branded hangers that come with their suits, and wrap them with pool noodle to provide a nice wide support on the shoulders. The nice thing is you can trim the ends of the noodle to match the curvature of the shoulder.

basic idea (copied from elsewhere on the net):

p4190002_257.jpg

Back
Top Bottom