Does a timely visit to the Hyperbaric Chamber required?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gyo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just want to know the opinion of the forum here. According to a few of my friends, who are senior divers and among which has a close Hyperbaric doctor friend, a timely visit to the Hyperbaric Chamber is required for divers, rule of thumb is every 40-50 dives, to prevent accumulated nitrogen bubbles from forming inside our body.

Now, is this true?

Been performing a bit of browsing and research, most opinions are that a timely visit to the chamber is pointless. Unless you have DCI, you don't need to go to the chamber.

Please shed some light. Thanks

A "timely" visit every 40-50 dives? Do what? I'm no doctor but I can say I feel pretty confident in saying it is pretty strange statement to be saying hyperbaric O2 therapy is REQUIRED ever 40-50 dives to PREVENT DCS.

I think diving itself may have some curative affects on various complaints (outside of what hyperbaric O2 therapy is currently used for) but that is irrelevant to the question.

I just want to know the opinion of the forum here. According to a few of my friends, who are senior divers and among which has a close Hyperbaric doctor friend, a timely visit to the Hyperbaric Chamber is required for divers, rule of thumb is every 40-50 dives, to prevent accumulated nitrogen bubbles from forming inside our body.
Sounds like the Hyperbaric doctor is running low on cash.

Thanks for the response. Actually I felt a little bit strange too hearing this, especially coming from the doctor. Any other opinions would be appreciated.

Utter crap. I am not a medical professional, but I question what this quack's opinion is based on. How do you pluck an arbitrary like 40-50 dives? Are there any rules on depth, deco, breathing gas, frequency of dives etc.? If I turned up at the pot and asked to be put in the chamber as a precaution, I would expect the response to rhyme with 'duck cough'.

If I heard a hyperbaric physician spouting crap like this to solicit work, I'd report him to the relevant professional standards body.

Now, is this true?

Been performing a bit of browsing and research, most opinions are that a timely visit to the chamber is pointless. Unless you have DCI, you don't need to go to the chamber.

Please shed some light. Thanks

BS, get yourself a new doctor

I recall hearing this myth once, though I believe I was told that dive pros were taking a chamber ride after a large number of dives to "wash out." The necessity of this is pure myth. Here's what DAN had to say about it:
Alert Diver | The Nitrogen Saturation Myth.

"a timely visit to the Hyperbaric Chamber is required for divers, rule of thumb is every 40-50 dives, to prevent accumulated nitrogen bubbles from forming inside our body."

That should go to the top of the list of stupid things I have seen on scubaboard.

Next they will be sending you out after some relative bearing grease and a cup of steam. They could be having some fun or are just stupid, but you will have to make that call since I don't know them.

Bob
-----------------------------------
“I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught.”
― Winston Churchill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom