First and Second Stage Match-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maximillion

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have an Oceanic FDX-10 First Stage and an Oceanic Aplha-8 Second Stage. I don't see that combo offered together anyplace, yet it was offered to me essentially because my LDC had the two stages available seperately and I got a very good price. Question is - are they truely compatable? Am I using a poor match-up or are those two stages ok to be operated together in "general sport diving". What I mean by that last phrase is that I am an Open Water certified diver who rarely goes below 60 feet and and generally in 60+ degree water. I know each of those stages have their benefits, but really don;t know if they are otherwise compatible. So far - they work fine together - so I guess that tell s me part of the answer at any rate!

Thank you!
Maximillion.

I have an Oceanic FDX-10 First Stage and an Oceanic Aplha-8 Second Stage. I don't see that combo offered together anyplace, yet it was offered to me essentially because my LDC had the two stages available seperately and I got a very good price. Question is - are they truely compatable? Am I using a poor match-up or are those two stages ok to be operated together in "general sport diving". What I mean by that last phrase is that I am an Open Water certified diver who rarely goes below 60 feet and and generally in 60+ degree water. I know each of those stages have their benefits, but really don;t know if they are otherwise compatible. So far - they work fine together - so I guess that tell s me part of the answer at any rate!

As long as the second stage is rated for the Intermediate Pressure that the fist stage delivers, it should be just fine.

I don't know what the pressures are supposed to be on those two models (or anything about them actually), but your dealer's service department could check for you.

All that is necessary is that the first stage supplies the correct pressure that the second stage expects.

Flots - thanks. Have asked that of my LDC and got the same sort of generic answer you just inferred. Thought I'd give Oceanic a chance to shed some light on it in their forum here. Appreciate your thoughts! Very much!

I'm an Oceanic certified tech. Non practicing currently since I don't work for a shop but manage to stay current on products. Those two stages will work fine together. As long as the second is tuned to respond to the first stage within an IP of 125 - 145 psi you'll have no problems. The Alpha 8 is last years model. It is a little newer than an Alpha 7. But they use the same service kit. The only thing with the alphas is a lack of a breathing adjustment and venturi switch. But if the shop tech knows her stuff you'll never miss it for the diving you do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom