Swapping Aqua Lung Titan for Legend first stage questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortola

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking of attaching my Aqua Lung Legend second stage to a Titan first stage (new, T-shape, not old in-line). I love the Legend MBS, but never use it in cold water and find the Legend first stage huge and heavy for travel. My two questions are: 1) Will I find any noticeable breathing difference at depths less than 120’; and 2) Should I have this checked by my LDS after the swap to make sure the IP is matched? Any other advice welcome.

I am thinking of attaching my Aqua Lung Legend second stage to a Titan first stage (new, T-shape, not old in-line). I love the Legend MBS, but never use it in cold water and find the Legend first stage huge and heavy for travel. My two questions are: 1) Will I find any noticeable breathing difference at depths less than 120’; and 2) Should I have this checked by my LDS after the swap to make sure the IP is matched? Any other advice welcome.
You will not notice any difference because internally they are essentially the same regulator and both are rated at a measly 1,500 lpm (compared to a Mark 25 at 6,000 lpm or the little Mark 2 Evo at 3,000 lpm). Regardless a typical yoke valve will flow about 1200 lpm (@3,000 psi). Just check the IP that it is within AL specification (about 135 psi +/-). Should work just fine.

The Legend has additional mass and fins to help prevent freezing in cold water. That is why it is so large and heavy. And all I want to do is get my delayed flight to Cozumel where the water temp is reported to be 86F.

Talk about getting maximum mileage out of a design but the Legend/Core/Helix/Titan first stages are internally the same as a Conshelf which is the same as a Royal AquaMaster which is about the same as a Royal Master from the mid 60s. Aqua Lung has rode this horse into the ground hard, picked it back up, polished it with a replaceable volcano and saddled up again and again and then added ACD and rode it some more. The 1,500 lpm is the result of a tiny, antiquated orifice size partially restricted by the 12 gauge push pin that goes through to open the seat from the volcano. Now that they have been discarded to a holding company a fresh design might be due, or not :crying:.

Thanks! That's a lot of good info. I also have two sets of Atomics (an updated T1 and a T2), plus a couple of older Mk10/D400s, but I do find the Legend MBS to be a really comfortable second stage. I've read about Aqua Lung's financial struggles with some concern.

Thanks! That's a lot of good info. I also have two sets of Atomics (an updated T1 and a T2), plus a couple of older Mk10/D400s, but I do find the Legend MBS to be a really comfortable second stage. I've read about Aqua Lung's financial struggles with some concern.
Thanks, the first two paragraphs were for you, the third was mostly to :poke: one of my friends :wink:.

Back
Top Bottom