Newbie's setup: compatibility of stages; double scale gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dfad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A newbie is here, with newbie's questions. :)

I want to build my first setup for recreational purposes (no ice, recreational depths), a budget but upgradable one. I have some ideas about components but it's a bit hard to find some details on them, and first of all, IP values - meaning compatibility of different brands. And here are some ideas and questions:

1. As the 1st stage, I plan to use ScubaPro either Mk10 or Mk18. Why? Two HP ports - should I add a transmitter in the future; LP ports on a swivel; and excellent maintainability judging by what people wrote at this forum. So, within these two models, any major difference?

2. For 2nd stages - whatever is compatible by IP with the 1st stage, from known brands, with good reviews and adjustable air flow. Here is where I struggle to find IP used by different brands. Which of them I should NOT connect to ScubaPro 1st stage, and which would work just fine?

3. Does it make sense to use analog depth gauge in 2024? Like having a DC watch but also an analog gauge in the console as backup? If yes, I want a metric depth gauge, because I'm a metric person, and though it's not a big issue to multiply or divide by 0.3 (ok, 0.305) on the fly, but it would be great to have a dual scale just for easier communication with other people... So are there any double scale gauges, like a typical car speedometer is?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

3. Your mechanical depth gauge is not really redundancy; it provide no real value if your computer fails unless you also have a timing devide AND you are diving tables. If you want redundancy, get another computer.

2. Almost everything, except Poseidon, will be IP-compatible with your first stages. You will want to ahve them serviced/adjusted together, so if you ae going to ahve a local shop do that, make sure they can handle all the diffrent brands you are thinking of. Why not just get ScubaPro everything, if you like SP so much?

Why not just get ScubaPro everything, if you like SP so much?
First, thanks a lot for correcting me, I missed that factor of no redundancy in the question #3. :)

I can't say I like SP over other brands - that's just I checked what people sell at Facebook Marketplace and eBay, and it seems that there is not a big choice of budget models with 2 HP ports. I can switch to another brand of course if I choose to give up a possibility to connect a transmitter in the future. This is more 'nice to have' than 'must have' feature in my use case. :)

As for LDS, I'm lucky to have a few of them nearby. Some accept "all of the top manufacturers", some are specialized on 1-3 popular brands but accept others too, that gives me some flexibility. That in turn means more doubts and flouncing while picking the components. :)

3. Does it make sense to use analog depth gauge in 2024? Like having a DC watch but also an analog gauge in the console as backup? If yes, I want a metric depth gauge, because I'm a metric person, and though it's not a big issue to multiply or divide by 0.3 (ok, 0.305) on the fly, but it would be great to have a dual scale just for easier communication with other people... So are there any double scale gauges, like a typical car speedometer is?
Yes, it makes perfect sense, especially with an increasing dependence upon electronics, which I have seen crap out at a far greater rate than any analogue equipment, over the years.

I have a number of electronic devices, but always have an SPG on hand — even one with both metric and imperial measurements . . .

Attachments

• IMG_3590.jpeg
    IMG_3590.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom