Video demonstrating the rate of color absorption as you descend underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnunn04

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
While at the local quarry, I shot a video demonstrating the rate and depth that different spectrum of light waves are absorbed by the water as you descend to 60 ft. I have not seen this demonstrated before. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d_B4UmgT6Y

The video what shot with a GoPro Hero 2 in a dive housing on a single dive. No special filters were used during the filming or post production.

While not perfect, I thought it would be interesting to share. As we descend, the picture quality is not quite as clear. I'm not sure if this is due to the particles in the water, the partial loss of ambient light, or if we were in the thermocline that occurs at that approximate depth since this was all done on one continuous shot - I shortened the video for convenience.

Enjoy! I hope you find this interesting. Feel free to link or use if desired.

Last edited:
The color changes also depend on the kind of water......clear, green, turbid, etc. And why is a video the way to do it; wouldn't still pictures allow one to see the changes on the viewer's schedule rather than yours? the increasing fuzziness as the depth of field decreases with depth is bothersome.....

So, bravo for the attempt, but I look forward to version 2!

It has been done many many times as well as being published in several vintage UW photo books.

Never the less a big congratulations on taking the time to produce and share with others.

I suspect you efforts will be appreciated by all

sdm

The color changes also depend on the kind of water......clear, green, turbid, etc. And why is a video the way to do it; wouldn't still pictures allow one to see the changes on the viewer's schedule rather than yours? the increasing fuzziness as the depth of field decreases with depth is bothersome.....

It absolutely depends on the water and I just demonstrated my experience today. There are many ways to do it, but I chose a short (under two minute) video. As far as the increased fuzziness - well, I was 60 ft underwater in a rock quarry which is not the ideal environment. I apologize for it being bothersome and you wasting two minutes watching it.

It has been done many many times as well as being published in several vintage UW photo books.

Never the less a big congratulations on taking the time to produce and share with others.

I suspect you efforts will be appreciated by all

sdm

I'm sure it has been done before, but I haven't found anything up to this point. Thank you for your kind words.

While not colorblind, I do have some level of difficulty differentiating between shades and darker colors. To me, the yellow square was the most "detectable" at 60'. Is that the case with others? The reason I ask is that we dive a lot of low viz here in New England, and for my next pair of fins I want to get a color that is easier to follow for buddies, and for students when we do checkouts.

While not colorblind, I do have some level of difficulty differentiating between shades and darker colors. To me, the yellow square was the most "detectable" at 60'. Is that the case with others? The reason I ask is that we dive a lot of low viz here in New England, and for my next pair of fins I want to get a color that is easier to follow for buddies, and for students when we do checkouts.
Yeah, pretty much, however as mentioned above, it may depend on the color of the water too..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom